Control Panel handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkur

BJCP #B1441
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting a new panel build and I have just spent 30 minutes online looking for handles to protect the control panel switches from accidental operation. The Electric Brewery sell some that are 12" long which is too big for my 12"x12" box. Does anyone have a source for these? I am looking for the same sort of design but 10" long.

This is the link to the 12" Handle

Thanks

If you don't care that these are not round:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cabinet-Handles-Brushed-Nickel-Silver/dp/B0734SZQ1VSlightly different than what you linked:
https://smile.amazon.com/Centers-Stainless-Kitchen-Cabinet-12-8inch/dp/B01GJQMBXW
Personally, I've not seen a need for something like that. I have my panel mounted on an arm connected to the brew stand. Not had a single 'accidental operation' to date. I could see how having handles might make things actually more difficult if you needed to hit a switch/control quickly. Once I've moved and can setup the brewing system in a better spot, I plan to wall mount my panel. Right now I simply don't have a spot that I could do that.

Personally, I've not seen a need for something like that. I have my panel mounted on an arm connected to the brew stand. Not had a single 'accidental operation' to date. I could see how having handles might make things actually more difficult if you needed to hit a switch/control quickly. Once I've moved and can setup the brewing system in a better spot, I plan to wall mount my panel. Right now I simply don't have a spot that I could do that.

agreed. my panel is on a wall and i do not have handles, not a concern for me. maybe if i had a touchscreen or similar sensitive buttons it could be an issue but with industrial-style push buttons and selector switches, it would take a pretty gnarly action to inadvertently operate something.

I would hope that the touch screen panels are not so sensitive that a light touch/brush would make things happen. Some of the panels allow you to connect up via a tablet/computer (self hosted web page for the controls).

I made mine 1/2 copper pipe, split ring hangers, and some bolts. I can easily carry the controller from it and also make fine adjustments from the swing mount. There's a link in my signature to the build if you want to see what im talking about

I found these on clearance at my local box store. 7" and 16" stainless drawer pulls. They come in many different sizes. I think I paid $3 for the small heat sink protectors and $6 for the gauge protectors. Unintended use is that they help keep wires and plug off the floor when not in use.

Attachments

• Control pannel.jpg
    Control pannel.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I never understood the point of them... i have worked around hundreds of control panels in my industrial career... non of them have ever had these.. I would only have something around the on/off switch if you are not using the key type. For instance, on my panel, this is what i have around the Allen Bradley power switch.
1653060449411.png

I feel like the "guards" on these Cal clones are just bling.. same with the power light... if the controllers power up, you have power.. no need for a redundant light...

I never understood the point of them... i have worked around hundreds of control panels in my industrial career... non of them have ever had these..

They for sure do not offer much if any protection. My panel is connected to a stainless steel table with casters. They are wonderful for getting my table in a good brewing location. I could just grab the table but handles are way better for lining up the casters to lock them. My panel also makes my table a little top left end heavy and I've more than once tried to move it from the wrong end before the kettles were full. I've now learned don't move it with out the handles.

They for sure do not offer much if any protection. My panel is connected to a stainless steel table with casters. They are wonderful for getting my table in a good brewing location. I could just grab the table but handles are way better for lining up the casters to lock them. My panel also makes my table a little top left end heavy and I've more than once tried to move it from the wrong end before the kettles were full. I've now learned don't move it with out the handles.
Here's my build..

The top indicators are 4-20mA flow indicators for my sparge flows. I'm tired of messing with ball valves to balance the sparge and then run inside for a few minutes to only find the MT dry or have way too much water...

Attachments

• 20220525_212044.jpg
    20220525_212044.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back