Control for Hotrod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebob296

Reaction score
Hello, I have been looking for an additional heat source for my ebiab and I settled on the Hotrod from Brewhardware. I want a way to control the output of the 2nd element. I was wondering if this item would do the trick. Specifically, the 4000 Watt one. For only $10 it seems like a pretty cheap way to control. I will be using a 2000 Watt element.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMBYFRK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
So would I be better to go with an analog style? I've read in other threads using a heavy duty pwm for a router or a stilldragon kit.

One of the reviews claimed that it didn't work for their 1500w heater. The stilldragon kit is designed to power a heating element. I'd go the stilldragon route or look into using a cheap PID for more control.

Well I have a pid for my main element already. The still dragon kit says it's for 220V if I'm not mistaken that is interchangeable for 120 correct?

Well I have a pid for my main element already. The still dragon kit says it's for 220V if I'm not mistaken that is interchangeable for 120 correct?

you need a pid controller those wont work well for your application. they do not maintain anything steadily but a boil.

Are you using both elements in the boil kettle? You can use the PID to control both elements, assuming they'll be doing the same job. I do this on my 120v system.

Are you using both elements in the boil kettle? You can use the PID to control both elements, assuming they'll be doing the same job. I do this on my 120v system.

Yes, they will both be in the boil kettle. The problem is I do not have a 30 amp breaker in my apt. All of my outlets are 20 amp. So they have to be connected to different circuits. I feel like the challenge of wiring and getting them both to run off the single pid is more difficult then a plug and play for the second element. However, feel free to correct me.

Yes, they will both be in the boil kettle. The problem is I do not have a 30 amp breaker in my apt. All of my outlets are 20 amp. So they have to be connected to different circuits. I feel like the challenge of wiring and getting them both to run off the single pid is more difficult then a plug and play for the second element. However, feel free to correct me.

Nah, it's really simple. I don't know what your panel looks like, but the basic requirement is another SSR/heatsink and most likely another outlet for your panel. Run a 2nd line into your panel, to the new SSR and to the new outlet. Then use two jumper wires to connect the input side of the SSR's together. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Now the PID controls both elements.

If you have a switch and relay to turn your current element off, you will want to do the same to the new element. Depending on the type of relay you have, you might not need any extra parts.

I have an auberns pid 2352, 40 amp ssr, and an on off for element. This actually sounds like a better way to go, although I will need to get a bigger box. This will also provide me with a chance to redo the wiring.

Back