Continuing Fermentation after ? months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I started an ill-advised cider last year (one of those 'cider in a month' jobs.
2 weeks fermentation then bottled with 1tsp sugar in each bottle for carbonation, left for a day, then refridgerated. Belch, Blerk :eek: made 11 330ml bottles. I probably did this back in September or October.
If I were to pour it all back into a carboy (1G), would I have any luck turning this into something worth drinking?

Pouring it back into a carboy would make it worse than it is now. I'm not a cider expert by any stretch, but I do know the basics of fermentation and oxidation. Take them out of the fridge, give them a brief swirl, then store them at 70 degrees or higher for 3 weeks. After that, toss a bottle into the fridge for a few days and give it a taste. It should taste better, and if it's good enough to drink at that point, feel free to toss more in the fridge. If it's still not good enough after 3 weeks, wait longer. Toss one into the fridge every few weeks and try again.

Carbonation isn't going to happen in the fridge. It takes 3+ weeks at 70 degrees to carbonate. Give it the proper temperature for a long enough time and see how it turns out. Keep in mind that if you're drinking cider that's been carbonated at room temperature for 24 hours then refridgerated for 6 months, that cider is still only 1 day old.

Are you sure it was done fermenting when you bottled? Because it wasn't, then if you took it out of the fridge to carbonate fully, then you have a chance of bottle bombs.

Are you sure it was done fermenting when you bottled? Because it wasn't, then if you took it out of the fridge to carbonate fully, then you have a chance of bottle bombs.

This is a good point. I was wearing my beer hat, not my cider hat, when I responded to this post originally. While most beers will be finished fermenting by the 2 week mark, I don't think the same can be said for ciders.

However, at this point the only real way to salvage your cider would be to take that chance. I doubt it will ever be as good as it could have been had it been allowed to ferment and clear fully, but it might still be salvageable. If you do take it out of the fridge (keeping in mind that this is probably the only chance you have to make it drinkable) make sure you store it somewhere that won't be destroyed by bottle bombs. A large rubbermaid tub with a lid would be my first choice, followed by cardboard boxes lined with towels stored on a tile floor.

Hehehe, I've put it back into a carboy. all 9 remaining nasty bottles! I tried to drink the stuff as it was & it tasted like a cross between nasty wine & over carbonated soda. I'm going to give it a few weeks & see what happens! I figure that I have nothing to loose - only gain (the knowledge not to try making cider like THAT again!)

Why, why, why?!? I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd toss it back into the carboy, especially after getting responses telling you not to do that.

On a positive note, in a few weeks when you taste it, and it tastes like soggy cardboard, you'll know what oxidation tastes like. Sorry man, but I think you killed your brew. :(

It was NOT drinkable in it's bottled state. It was dry, dry, slightly acidic, tasted vaugely like apple but to me, mostly tasteless. Either way, by putting it back into the carboy, I acheive something. I either make something that may be drinkable or I have engine cleaner. Seriously, if I've killed it, I'm not really worried. It was my very first attempt at cider - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I have had cider#2 going for 8weeks now & it's comming on nicely - every step I take with #2 is being dragged through this forum, so the likelyhood of it being bad should be slim!

Well if it was just super dry, overcarbonated, and lacking in apple flavor, then I think you made the wrong decision. I would have let it age, that way some of the apple flavor would start coming back with time. Now after 6 months or more in the bottle, you'd get some apple flavor and you could cut it with some juice in the glass, cutting the carbonation and dryness down.

I hope you get lucky and oxidation doesn't set it, but if you had described your "bad taste" better, I think we could have given you better advice.

So what does oxidation taste like then?
I am putting this batch down to experimentation. If it's still vile in 6 weeks, It'll be tossed anyway. I never tasted the original AJ that I started with & didn't get an SG on it either (no hydrometer at that stage). I also followed EatTheWeeds Green Deane's intructions, just replaceing his fly ridden banana skins with cultured yeast!
I think in my mind, I have already discounted this as drinkable even in 6 or so weeks. If it wasn't for the DH, I would have probably ditched it after I tasted the first bottle. It's him that wanted it back in the carboy to see what would happen, so I am obliging him.

Well if you leave an already opened bottle of wine out, even if you put the cork back in it, in a few days or a week or so it will become oxidized. The flavors are stripped and everything starts to taste like cardboard.

Ok, thankyou everyone. lets just let this thread die a natural death now shall we? It disappoints me that people want to get so antsy because I choose to do something different. I joined this forum because because I liked the atomshpere (unlike another forum I joined) but if the replies in this thread are any indication to attitude......

Well I think a couple people were a bit confused why you went the opposite direction of the advise given, but don't let this one thread worry or scare you off. HBT is good on whole and full of tons of info, I think letting this thread die is a good step :)

Back