Contamination danger in dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carabus

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering about the contamination danger when dry hopping. Do people sterilize their hop before throwing in? If not, why do we sterilize everyting else?

First, hops have natural anti bacterial properties. Second, by the time the batch is ready to dry op, the alcohol and low pH make it resistant to infection. Third, trying to sanitize the hops would ruin them and make dry hopping useless. I've dry hopped well over 100 batches and never had an infection due to it.

Thanks for the replies, I do have leftover hop from about a month ago and thinking using it for dry hopping. I kept it in the refrigerator and it should still be good but I was wondering about contamination dangers. I was aware that hops have natural antibacterial properties but wasn't sure if it was enough. I wil try it now but would be sad to contaminate beer.

Back