Contactor not engaging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
So I have been working on my control box and wanted to fire it up today to prep for a batch tomorrow. Plugged in, turned power switch and hear the click and a hum. Yet no power. Got my meter and I have no power beyond the main power contactor. Checked and found 240 coming in and 120 hitting the coil. But nothing coming out. What gives? Wired wrong? Broken contactor?

I have a spa panel with HHN coming in and HHNG out to my box. Is there an issue with the way the neutral and ground are wired?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393175590.422371.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393175632.197527.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393175697.693400.jpg

Well i'm pretty sure the contactor is broken. The small copper strand from the coil that is attached to the two connectors had been fried or broken off... I tried wrapping it around myself but no such luck. Think I can fix it somehow?

I doubt it.... You sure do have a broad range of colors.... lol...

Did you send 240V to your relay coil? Is it a 120V coil relay?

It is hard for us to help much without a wiring diagram and/or properly colored controller wiring.

In the future:
Ground = Always GREEN, no exceptions.
(The rest are subject to individual taste, yet are semi-standard)
The 'Hot' phases = BLACK, BLUE
The neutral = WHITE
The control circuitry = RED
The E-Stop circuit = YELLOW

'da Kid

I doubt it.... You sure do have a broad range of colors.... lol...

All spare wire, with careful labelling its a non issue. :D

Did you send 240V to your relay coil? Is it a 120V coil relay?

It is hard for us to help much without a wiring diagram and/or properly colored controller wiring.

In the future:
Ground = Always GREEN, no exceptions.
(The rest are subject to individual taste, yet are semi-standard)
The 'Hot' phases = BLACK, BLUE
The neutral = WHITE
The control circuitry = RED
The E-Stop circuit = YELLOW

'da Kid

I can provide a diagram, the pdf file is too large. Hopefully the picture will be large enough. I now realize that it looks confusing to someone who didn't wire it up, I apologize for the non existent color coding. It has been wired exactly like the diagram suggests. Really though, color has nothing (virtually) to do with rating of the wire and/or its use. I used spare wire for the whole build with careful wiring and labeling. I wasn't going to spend another 100$ on wire when I have plenty lying around.

Yellow is neutral to one side of the coil, red on the same side is a shunt to my dc power supply. Black is line 1 from the switch, blue is a shunt to power another piece of hardware. Greens are labelled on top of the contactor...

I used my meter to test ohms on the pins and am coming up with nothing. Should read something no?

Control Box Wiring.jpg

The diagram looks sound to me.

Yes, you should measure some resistance on the coil terminals. Tough to guess the ohms. If the coils are identical, you can make that comparison.

We're not razzing you too hard on your wires. ;)

'a Kid

Yes, you should measure some resistance on the coil terminals. Tough to guess. If the coils are identical, you can make that comparison.

'a Kid
Unless its automotive or dc application only wire ;)

Yes, you should measure some resistance on the coil terminals. Tough to guess the ohms. If the coils are identical, you can make that comparison.

'a Kid

Lol I'm color blind ok?

I ordered two new ones and going to return the old. Thanks for the help

In the OP first post he described perfectly how to troubleshoot a contactor. Contactors go bad all the time

Got my new contactors in and set up. Working just fine. Hopefully can get a refund for the old ones.

Back