Constant Yeast Rafting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
After about 3 weeks, with VERY active fermentation for the 1st 4 days, my IPA was showing at its FG and had been for a over a week.

I moved it to secondary and dry hopped about a week ago. About 50% of the hops have settled, while the other 50% continue to yeast raft to the surface. In fact there is still pretty good bottom to top circulation going on.

I wish to add gelatine, but am unsure if I should do anything 1st to try to settle it down.

Should I give it a good stir (as you would wine) to get the co2 out of suspension? Or just add the gelatine and let it drive the co2 out?

Suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to avoid. I definitely wouldn't stir it. I'm not a gelatinizer, but the rafts aren't harmful in any particular way. :mug:

Just unsure of the effectiveness of the gelatin floc with the co2 continuing to escape.

In wine making, you stir it to ensure the co2 is out before you floc to ensure it is clear.

Maybe it is not required ... just wanted to try for a very clear IPA.

howabouttheiris said:
Just unsure of the effectiveness of the gelatin floc with the co2 continuing to escape.

In wine making, you stir it to ensure the co2 is out before you floc to ensure it is clear.

Maybe it is not required ... just wanted to try for a very clear IPA.

Ah, sure thing...

I've not done a ton of work with gelatin, so perhaps somebody with more experience will correct me, but it should still work fine. I can't think of how gelatin's binding mechanism would be disrupted by some CO2 action, but I can't say that I've tried it personally.

Wine gets shots of K-meta etc to keep the oxidation down, but degassing beer would be a bad idea. If you want to make sure it is extra clear, it wouldn't hurt to given the beer some more time to settle, but you can always just give it another shot of gelatin if you find the first wasn't fully effective.

Let us know how it works! :mug:

Back