Constant Temp or Better Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrbuk

Reaction score
Hi,

First time brewer here so go easy!

I've just started a stock Coopers kit, to recipe, for my first batch. Might as well see what the base it like before I start tinkering right?

Anyway. I have it fermenting away (it looks like a large bucket of orange/brown beer with a head on it, I'm assuming that's ok for day 2) in a room with a constant temp, however, that temp is slightly higher than ideal (approx 23c according to crappy stick on thermometer, instructions recommend 21c). I read that higher temps can cause off flavours, but varying temps is also an issue.

So, my question is, what is better in this case? Constant 23c or shifting somewhere where fluctuations would occur but be closer to 21c overall?

congrats on taking the jump!

what your best bet, for your initial question would be to at least use something called a swamp bath. essentially place your fermentation bucket/jug into a large bin with water in it, and warp an old tshirt/pillowcase around your bucket for water to absorb up and around your fermenting beer. This will aid in maintaining a more consistent temperature.

you can also throw in some frozen water bottles twice a day, to help regulate it and keep it down in lower temps.

This is how most homebrewers begin with temperature control, until the habit grabs them and you're building a fermentation chamber...then a brew stand...then a keezer..then a....it really just keeps going!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=199965

this link shows some examples!

happy brewing!

I would go with varying lower temps. That said, the recommended temp of 21C (70F) is relatively high for most beer styles. xpops' recommendation is a good one, if you can get it set up in short order. Most fermentation-derived off-flavors are created during the first few days, so if you're going to make a change, it needs to be done soon in order to have much effect.

yes...unfortunately the swamp cooler is a little late for this batch, but the best part of homebrewing is improving your skills, knowledge and overall beers, from one brew to the next!

brew on!

I've already started looking for second hand fridges nearby, I tend to go all in on new hobbies :)

Thanks chaps. May as well just leave this one then and see what happens, will open a window to see if I can pull ambient temp down a notch

I've already started looking for second hand fridges nearby, I tend to go all in on new hobbies :)

Thanks chaps. May as well just leave this one then and see what happens, will open a window to see if I can pull ambient temp down a notch

Sounds like you got the idea. You really want to get away from thinking about controlling ambient temperature and focus on controlling the temperature of the fermenting beer. The stick on thermometer on your bucket is actually a good tool as it may well be telling you that the beer is warmer than the room. This is common during most active part of fermentation. A second hand fridge with an inkbird controller is easy solution you will be amazed by the difference in your beer when you start using it.

Everything here is correct, but if you're in that crucial first three days a very easy solution that you already have is: take a couple towels and stick them in the freezer. Then, Wrap them around the fermenter. Its good for a couple degrees. It's not perfect, but it helped me in my first days. Swap them with others from the freezer couple or more times a day.

Towel idea might be a goer. Problem I think I might have with the bath idea is that the bucket has a tap, might cause slight issue but I guess it should be water tight as the beers not getting out :)

I should think before I type. Off to get a towel :)

Good news. Temp down to 21c and hopefully sourced a fridge for £15 (starts looking for helles kits!)

I noticed one of my biggest improvements in quality when I switched from a swamp cooler to a chest freezer/fermentation chamber. Science may prove otherwise, but I believe the steady fermentation chamber I have provided to my yeasties has really benefited their production over the fluctuating temperatures of my swamp cooler.

I found a 5cf chest freezer on Craigslist, and then built a Inkbird temperature controller. Huge improvement in efficiency and taste in my opinion. That and my wort chiller are a couple of the biggest game changers thus far in my brewing experience.

I noticed one of my biggest improvements in quality when I switched from a swamp cooler to a chest freezer/fermentation chamber. Science may prove otherwise, but I believe the steady fermentation chamber I have provided to my yeasties has really benefited their production over the fluctuating temperatures of my swamp cooler.

I found a 5cf chest freezer on Craigslist, and then built a Inkbird temperature controller. Huge improvement in efficiency and taste in my opinion. That and my wort chiller are a couple of the biggest game changers thus far in my brewing experience.

I second that. If you can get a mini fridge/freezer cheap...grab a temp controller...you'll make a significant impact in your beer quality in little time!

Back