Considering switching to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venari

Reaction score
I have been putting in some consideration for moving to AG, but the associated costs may not really be something I'd enjoy.

I'd have to get a turkey fryer, burner, and propane just to boil the wort, which means ordering online. To get the propane up here, I'd have to have it shipped via air cargo with Dangerous Goods paperwork. Considering it took me 6 months to get my CO2 tank up here, I'm not sure how long I'd have to wait for the more explosive propane, or pay extra costs to have the propane sent as priority. I'd also have to buy/build some flashing to keep the heat close to the burner/kettle if I'm going to be boiling outdoors in -60 temps.

Then there's the heavy grains I'd have to get shipped, along with a mill (or order pre-milled).
Then I'd have to order a small pump and associated hoses to move the hot fluid around

I'm assuming I'll have to cool the wort overnight, instead of using a chiller, since we have a limited water supply, so I wont have to pay to have one of those shipped.

I guess I could continue to splash aerate, so I wont need to fly up the Dangerous Goods classified pressurized oxygen with aerating stone.

Are there any other bits of equipment I could need to switch from kit'n'kilo to AG? I'd like to figure out how much it'd cost me to get everything I need before I start purchasing anything.

You've overcomplicating it. Get a paint strainer bag and go BIAB. It might be smaller batches than what you're doing now depending on your kettle size, but thats all you really need. Maybe a $25 corona mill if you want to grind yourself.

IF you're not chilling now, there's no reason you have to chill with BIAB, especially in your locale.

You don't have to brew full batches. Just about every kitchen stove has the suds to boil 4+ gallons of water. I do small batch (2-3.5 gallon) BIAB batches in the kitchen every now and then when I'm up for brewing something of which I don't feel I need 5 gallons or brewing something for a buddy who only has 3 gallon kegs. As far as equipment, maybe a larger kettle (8 gal), and a brew bag to fit. If the kettle is too large to fit in your sink for chilling, then add an immersion chiller to the mix. Obviously, you'll still have to figure out how to get the grains, but I am assuming you've already come to grips with that, since you're contemplating making the move to AG.

And, yeah, what EJay said ^^^^ (beat me to the post).

I do work for an airline, so I only pay about 20% of the shipping costs, but that makes it low priority when they load it onto the aircraft. I'd also have to pay somebody to pick up my goods and deliver them to the airport, if the vendors wont deliver themselves.

We're still in a boil water advisory, so i'm not sure what sort of off-flavours to expect in anything new I make.

We have coolers at the store up here I could convert to a mash tun if needed, but I suppose BIAB is also an option. Then I need to figure out if a kitchen electric stove can boil more than 5 gallons of wort, or if I should avoid adding to my $900+ hydro bills and just order a propane burner instead (and find a source of propane).

Can't you use induction burners up there? I found all kinds for non USA voltage. Mine both work great,HLT is a 115volt and the boil is 220volt,takes me 6 hours to make 10 gal.

I do work for an airline, so I only pay about 20% of the shipping costs, but that makes it low priority when they load it onto the aircraft. I'd also have to pay somebody to pick up my goods and deliver them to the airport, if the vendors wont deliver themselves.

We're still in a boil water advisory, so i'm not sure what sort of off-flavours to expect in anything new I make.

We have coolers at the store up here I could convert to a mash tun if needed, but I suppose BIAB is also an option. Then I need to figure out if a kitchen electric stove can boil more than 5 gallons of wort, or if I should avoid adding to my $900+ hydro bills and just order a propane burner instead (and find a source of propane).

A kitchen stove would take forever to boil that much wort. Have you considered going electric with heating elements in the kettle?

Go small. Watch this video on doing a 2 gallon batch. You can boil that on an indoor kitchen stove be it electric or gas. These produce approx 3 six pack and gives you a chance to have a great variety of beers to drink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go small. Watch this video on doing a 2 gallon batch. You can boil that on an indoor kitchen stove be it electric or gas. These produce approx 3 six pack and gives you a chance to have a great variety of beers to drink.

This sounds great. Would offer a better chance to play around with different recipes. My only problem is that in my home, my beer seems to grow wings and fly away before I can get to it, and smaller batches will only disappear faster. :drunk:

But I think I will do this, if only to be able to try new recipes that I could then make on a larger scale.:rockin:

I started doing all grain using stove top BIAB. (Brew in a Bag)

1. You don't have to make 5 gallons

2. You can use 2 pots. Its a bit cumbersome, but 2 stock pots, with 3 gallons of water each should be manageable (you can add top off water near the end of the boil if needed

Man... you are UP THERE! Brrrrr.... I sweat better than I shiver! :)

I would do what C-rider suggested plus put your beer under lock and key! Sounds like too much work has to go into your brewing for it to just be snatched up like that. On the plus side you'll just have to brew more often.
I started AG doing 2.5 biab and it was fun and easy. I just did it on my stove top and let it cool over night. Worked great and I had a lot of beers to choose from.

The only water heat sticks and induction burners i can find on ebay/amazon seem to be between 1500 and 1800 watts.

Where are you guys getting the ones that let you boil 5 gallons or more?

Man... you are UP THERE! Brrrrr.... I sweat better than I shiver! :)

I would do what C-rider suggested plus put your beer under lock and key! Sounds like too much work has to go into your brewing for it to just be snatched up like that.

I did buy some tap locks, but they don't seem to fit over my perlicks. Either way, I can't use the kegs because I don't know if i can afford the power bill if i hook up a keezer or kegerator. The bills are already pretty high.

On the other hand, I prefer to shiver than sweat! If I could get Igloolik weather in Ottawa, Ontario, I'd be one happy camper.

I just used three stuffed brewsocks (cousin of BIAB) per my buddy. Worked great, sparged by taking socks into 165 preheated water, steeped for another 30 and reintroduced to wort.

BIAB seems to be the best option for you in your circumstances. What size pot(s) do you currently use to boil in? You don't need to boil 5 gallons of water in one pot to make a 5 gallon batch of beer. Lots of BIAB brewers use two pots to boil the needed water. Is there anywhere close and/or cheap to get two 5 gallon plastic buckets? You could do a modified BIAB method that would work just as well and you wouldn't have to boil off lots of water; thereby negating the use of high BTU burners.
A 1500 watt induction burner should have no trouble boiling 3 gallons of wort. Without knowing what you actually available at this moment, we are pretty much guessing how to best help you.

BIAB seems to be the best option for you in your circumstances. What size pot(s) do you currently use to boil in?

Lots of BIAB brewers use two pots to boil the needed water. Is there anywhere close and/or cheap to get two 5 gallon plastic buckets?

Without knowing what you actually available at this moment, we are pretty much guessing how to best help you.

I usually boil a gallon of water in one pot (doesn't hold much more than that), to which I usually add the LME and sugar. Then I usually top that off with tap water (now pre-boiled cool water) to 19L, which brings the temperature low enough to pitch in dry yeast.

I already have about 4 plastic "ale pails" (each can hold about 6 gallons) I use as fermenters.

I also have another big pot that could probably hold about 3 gallons (12 inches diameter by 9 inches high, so just over 4 gallons if i were to fill it right up)

I'd like to get an electric brew kettle, or know where to get an induction burner that can boil (and support the weight) of a full batch.

Or, as suggested by a few, use two pots and then mix them together later.

This sounds great. Would offer a better chance to play around with different recipes. My only problem is that in my home, my beer seems to grow wings and fly away before I can get to it, and smaller batches will only disappear faster. :drunk:

But I think I will do this, if only to be able to try new recipes that I could then make on a larger scale.:rockin:

Ha, I'm pretty much the only beer drinker here so mine lasts a good while. But when I visit friends I usually bring along a "mixed" six pack to share.

I have two inexpensive 5 gallon pots. They are just large enough to reach all four burners on my stove to speed up the boil. I use one to mash in BIAB then dunk sparge in the other. About half way through my boil I combine the volume. I add the hops to the pot with the first runnings.
It alters the hop utililization a bit but it doesn't seem to make a significant difference.

Back