Conical fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth43

Reaction score
Evening all, fairly new to all this.
I have two Grainfather conical fermenters and want to fit them out with CO2 via the top tri clamp fitting to avoid oxygen being drawn back into the fermenter when carrying out yeast dumps etc. My question is what kit do I need to facilitate this as also need to ensure I have a blow off for the rampant yeast activity from the Belgium strains I’m using. Is there any kit that allows CO2 to be introduced when drawing a dump which also allows blow off / airlock fitting?

I have attached a bag filled with CO2 to the fermenter so it can draw CO2 into the headspace as the volume of liquid goes down. This can be captured CO2 from the fermenter itself.

From the other direction, I have at times flooded with CO2 squirted in with a small tube into the sight glass and other fittings I may have attached after fermentation began and then just seal up the last fitting hopefully before too much air gets back in. Not perfect, maybe not effective, but I feel like I'm doing something.

All in all, I wonder though if it's a worry for most beers. Might be only the real hoppy dry hopped beers will ever show the slight difference between worrying about it and not.

Last edited:
I use a cask breather that i attach to blowoff hose with small co2 (think sodastream or smaller) attached to other end. The cask breather allows just enough co2 thru to keep atmospheric pressure when cold crashing and transferring

Attachments

• 20200903_160755.jpg
    20200903_160755.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back