Conical Fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
hi,

I saw a very reasonably priced new 7 gallon Conical Fermenter on ebay. are these things refrigerated ?? how would you go about controlling the fermentation temp in one of these ??

Was it one of these? If so, then no they are not temp controlled. You need to put it inside a fridge or fermentation closet to cool it. Also note that his website prices are often less than what people bid for them on eBay.
http://conical-fermenter.com/products/conical-fermenters/

yes. I'm a bit new to this, but decided to get into it because i love good beer, and decided over time it's more cost effective over the long haul to make my own, instead of paying $60-$70 for a 5 gallon keg from a micro brewery.Besides I can use a hobby. currently using brew buckets in a tub of ice water, since its warm here in inland so cal, and i'm trying to come up with the best way to brew and control temps. i have been looking into a used chest freezer, and using a digital temp controler. In the winter I can put the buckets in my pool , since the water drops into the 50's. those conicals look nice, but if they are not temp controled, i might as well use a bucket. thanks for any advice

yes. I'm a bit new to this, but decided to get into it because i love good beer, and decided over time it's more cost effective over the long haul to make my own, instead of paying $60-$70 for a 5 gallon keg from a micro brewery.Besides I can use a hobby. currently using brew buckets in a tub of ice water, since its warm here in inland so cal, and i'm trying to come up with the best way to brew and control temps. i have been looking into a used chest freezer, and using a digital temp controler. In the winter I can put the buckets in my pool , since the water drops into the 50's. those conicals look nice, but if they are not temp controled, i might as well use a bucket. thanks for any advice

Keep in mind that not all types of beers want to be fermented at that low of a temperature. Ales want to be fermented between 60* and 75*F.

+1 on Stout Tanks and Conicals, I've got my first batch in my 14.5 gal. conical now and was very happy with the conical when I received it. I got a 14.5 gallon conical with thermowell and standard tri-clamp fittings(big plus) shipped to me here in Nashville for $540 total. It is sitting in my converted freezer now with a love control for the thermowell and also run the freezer.

I just picked up a nice used 7 cf chest freezer off craigslist for $75 bucks today. It will fit 2 brew buckets nicely, perfect for what I need. i already have a Ranco digital temp control ready for it. Looks like I'll be brewing and test it this weekend

Back