Conical fermanator stuck yeast/trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millatime

Reaction score
Hey all,

My IPA is fermenting in a 7 gallon Blichman fermanator conical.

I brewed my first all grain last week, everything seemed to go pretty well. I hit my temps for mashing, the batch sparge seemed successful, the boil got me too my volume I wanted etc.

About 4 days later I attempted to do a dump from the bottom valve. I hit it with sanitizer, then opened slowly. Some bits and pieces came out, as well as some cloudy beer, but not sludge or anything. I left it wide open for about 10 mins and closely monitored and still nothing else came out at all. I tried shooting some sanitizer up there, and even tried pushing a sanitized small tube up there but no go, nothing seems to be moving.

I took a sample and my gravity was 1.0102 which I think is on track. The sample was a little cloud but not too bad, It tasted pretty good as well. I'm going to take another sample today or tomorrow but fermentation should be done soon, if not already.

Its been 7 days now; My question is, should I let it sit until i'm ready to keg? I have no secondary fermenter with me now and was planning to do so in the conical. Should I open the port on top and try moving the yeast around the bottom with a long(sanitized) probe? I have a long metal blow off tube I straightened out which would probably hit the bottom. I have also,today, tapped the sides of the conical with a rubber mallet to see it it will move it at all.

I was planning on trying again tomorrow after letting it sit another day or so. I'm a new brewer so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I also still have to add the dry hops as well down the road.
:mug:

Once in a while you just get some really thick yeast cake that won't come out. Sounds like you've done the tricks - if the rubber mallet one didn't work then I would just quit. You must have a racking port as you already took a sample, so you should be able to just rack off off the cake after you dry hop. I would not open it up and start stirring, you're just going to introduce oxygen and get all that trub stirred back up in your beer.

One of the issues is that its an elbow joint. I did try a small sanitized tube, but don't think it was able to get it all the way past the elbow. I am going to see if I can find a flexible wire I can get up there, maybe i'll have a look around home depot. Sticking a coat hangar up there doesn't sound like a good idea :D

Thanks for the suggestions @chickypad and others. I did a mallet the other day, I am going to try that again today @Desert_Sky . I also picked up some higher gauge copper wire that should be able to bend and get inside the elbow. I'll see what happens!

A tool called the Zip-It Bath and Sink Hair Snare may work. I use it for sink drains. Flat so it easily travels through elbows. May not be food grade plastic but would that be a problem if it isn't heated or is this just a hair brained idea?

Thanks @flars Well, I was able to get a sanitized copper wire in there but nothing moved unfortunately.

I'll just let it sit there for another 2 weeks until ready to dry hop then keg.

Definitely lessons learned, I should have waited for awhile after putting in the conical as I have been reading on here, then dump before pitching the yeast. I did take a sample and the gravity reading barely moved since 2 days ago, so I think i'm on the right track. I took a sample and it tasted pretty good, although still cloudy. Already looking forward to improving the next brew. Thanks for everyone's input!

:mug:

If you can pressurize the tank that will solve your problem for sure.

If you can pressurize the tank that will solve your problem for sure.

Yeah unfortunately I don't have my c02 filled yet as its quite a bit of driving for me to get it filled. Will def try that next time!

If you can close off the blowoff valve you can pressurize with co2 the yeast is producing...no need for a trip ;)

Latest posts

Back