Confused on Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachary80

Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out what is the ideal temperature for fermenting. In my house it is 55 in the basement, about 62 on the ground floor, and 66-67 in my space on the second floor. Now I get confused because from what I understand, the fermentation can add up to 10 degrees but I have no way of measuring.

For example, I have the Northern Brewer peace coffee stout porter in primary right now. I chose the Safale S-04 yeast, and it gives a temperature range of 64-75F. So is that the temperature of the room? Where do I keep my fermenter? Does it change for primary/secondary?

Thanks

yes. the temp is for the fermenting beer. So if it says 64-75 - you don't want your ambient temp to be higher that ~68 or so (there's lots of debate over how much the exothermic reaction of the beer adds to temp - but consensus is 5-10 degrees).

Safale S-04 yeast gives a temperature range of 64-75F. So is that the temperature of the room?

No. That is referring to the temperature of the fermenting beer in your primary. During active fermentation this temperature is usually 3 to 6 deg higher than the ambient room temp. As a general rule, fermenting at the lower range seems to get the best results. But your basement is probably not the best option.

As for the temp for the secondary stage, research this forum for threads that debate the need for a secondary. You might conclude that extra step is not needed.

I'm having trouble figuring out what is the ideal temperature for fermenting. In my house it is 55 in the basement, about 62 on the ground floor, and 66-67 in my space on the second floor. Now I get confused because from what I understand, the fermentation can add up to 10 degrees but I have no way of measuring.

For example, I have the Northern Brewer peace coffee stout porter in primary right now. I chose the Safale S-04 yeast, and it gives a temperature range of 64-75F. So is that the temperature of the room? Where do I keep my fermenter? Does it change for primary/secondary?

Thanks

Ideally, get a thermometer to measure fermenting temps.

An ambient temperature of 62 is going to be pretty good for a wide variety of ales, though for some (e.g. hefes or Belgians) you might want to step it up and for others (alts/kolsches/etc) going lower would be nice.

That's a really nice spread of temperatures to have, if they're pretty steady.

I'd keep it simple and place in the 62 degree area. I think it will be fine right there. Or maybe get a plastic tub from Walmart and place the fermenter in there with some water and an aquarium heater.

But for the yeast you list, I think the 62 would be fine.

The amount of heat produced by yeast is relative to their amount of activity. A lower temp fermentation will produce less heat simply because the yeast are working slower. So while a fermentation at, say 75 might produce a fast ferment with a 6 degree differential, a fermentation at 62 might only produce a 3 degree differential that takes longer.

EDIT: I meant the swamp heater idea for the 55F room...

you could buy one of those stick on thermometers that they use for aquariums. Put it on your primary and that way you will have a better idea of your fermentation temp. I would stick to your 62 degree ground floor (burr).

i used the temperature stickers and it works fine. if your going to put it on the ground floor, you might want to pick up a brew belt. see if you can keep the temp around 65-68, near the end of fermentation jack it up a few degree's to 70 to make sure the yeast finish up.

Alright I have another question. I understand that yeast should finish high.
For my current beer, a Belgian IPA Tripel using 3522 Belgian Ardennes (65-76° F), I am doing a 3-4 week primary and a one month secondary. For the first week the temperature was between 69 to 71 according to the fermometer.
Do I gradually raise the temperature for the next week or so that it seems somewhat active? What temps should I keep for secondary?

edit: Kit instructions say a range of 65 to 85. 65-76 is according to the Wyeast page

Back