Confused about optimal mash pH for Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbytuck

Reaction score
I've been using the Bru'n water spreadsheet with pretty good success for my past dozen or so brews. My mash pH -- at room temperature 70-75F-- has been coming in at 5.2 or so (after about 15 mins into the mash) with a calibrated pH meter. (I calibrate with 4 and 7 solutions before each brew.)

In general, should I be aiming for a slightly *higher* pH for optimal flavor? I realize this is incredibly subjective -- but I'm looking for general comments.

Or does a lower pH give the finished beer more of pop? My finished pHs -- after 3 weeks fermentations and before bottling -- have been in the 4.0 to 4.3 range -- for ambers and stouts and porters -- so I know I'm finishing in a fairly good range.

I've been using Safale 05 exclusively -- and my attenuation is always 75% or so at 64F.

But I'm still confused about the correlation between mash pH and overall flavor for darker ales. My understanding is that higher pHs tend to give a blander flavor whereas lower pHs tend to give it more "pop".

To lower my pH I'm using acid malt, and I've been able to hit 5.2 in the mash at room temp pretty consistently (including salt additions) -- but I'm wondering if I'd be making *better* beers if my mash pH was slightly -- from 5.2 to 5.4 -- higher?

Again -- I realize this is incredibly subjective. But I've been operating under the assumption that I want lower pHs in the mash -- but after continuing to read this forum, I'm wondering if I'm aiming for a too-low pH at room temp?

I wouldn't call it blander at a mash pH of 5.4. I would call it fuller. Moving to say 5.6 or above might leave you with a beer that might be termed duller.

Remember that the pH issue is a continuum, just like mash temperature. There isn't a cutoff. It just tends to favor other flavor components as the pH differs.

Malting and Brewing Science and other brewing texts report that the fermentability of wort increases as the mash pH trends to the lower end of the 5.2 to 5.6 range. Additionally, a drinker may be able to detect a bit more sharpness and tartness when compared to a beer mashed at a higher pH. But, considering that this is a fairly narrow pH range, you shouldn't really notice that much of a difference. Moving to the upper end of the pH range reduces fermentability slightly which can leave a bit more unfermented sugars, dextrins, and other components which might improve the perception of body and mouthfeel.

Don't be afraid to experiment. 5.4 is a pretty good target in my experience. Slightly higher mash pH can also produce good results in the right beer.

Latest posts

Back