Confused about Ferment temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Ok, so when I pitched my yeast the wort was 70. The room it is in is 70. The temp on the termometer attached to the carboy is now up to 75 and on the rise because fermentation is going nuts.

Should the room temp be 70 or should I find a way to cool the carboy to 70? Which seems like a PIA by the way.

Thanks in advance

fermentation is an exothermic process - heat is generated. 75F is indeed the internal temp of your carboy.

welcome to being a homebrewer ;)

simplest thing is to put the carboy in a shallow tub of water, then drape a t-shirt or towel around it to wick the water up. instant swamp cooler.

in the summer you can add frozen water bottles, or a small fan to increase the cooling action.

eddie said:
I'd cool that puppy down. Are you fermenting in a carboy or a bucket?

Its in a carboy. So do you all put your fermenters in a room that is 60 to get a ferment temp of 70 or so?

I've had Nottingham hit 82 and still had an excellent beer. I've never used 001, but it may be fine, although a bit cooler would certainly be nice. You are a little higher than what White Labs specs.

So just put the carboy in a tub with water and wrap a towel around it that is resting in the water. '

Simple enough, is that all it takes?

Do you have one of those stick on thermometers? If so They suck.... In my opinion I have had three or four batches that have read at 78 degrees and even higher but when I STARALIZED my digital Thermometer and tested it, It was at 68 degrees.

RICLARK said:
Do you have one of those stick on thermometers? If so They suck.... In my opinion I have had three or four batches that have read at 78 degrees and even higher but when I STARALIZED my digital Thermometer and tested it, It was at 68 degrees.

I do actually. It does suck because I think the cold towel on it is changing the temp, i have no idea what it actually is inside the carboy.

That being said before i wrapped it with a towel it read the same as another thermometer i have in there.

mr x said:
Putting it in a tub of cold water alone will probably do the trick.

Well i dont have a tub per say. its a container made by tupperware for storage and its 5 inches tall. I have water in that and the towel around the carboy soaking that water up.

I had the same problem and ended up doing the wet t-shirt trick and now it's at a stable 70F. Houston weather is NOT good for beer brewing.

The White Labs website has this to say about that yeast:

WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

So 75F is a little high for this yeast.

Back