Conflict of temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey guys

I just made a batch of apfelwein in my 5 gal. carboy last night. I have been keeping my apt. at 65 lately for my other batch of Red Ale, but looks like I need to be keeping it at 74 F for my Apfelwein. The Red Ale is done fermenting so starting today im going to kick up the heat a little bit because I dont think my cider can ferment at 65 F, but maybe im wrong *nothing as of yet, btw*. Either way, will this hurt my Red Ale batch even though its done fermenting? Also, can i use one of those stick on thermo's for a glass carboy? I need to do some temperature watching on these suckers.

EamusCatuli said:
I just made a batch of apfelwein in my 5 gal. carboy last night. I have been keeping my apt. at 65 lately for my other batch of Red Ale, but looks like I need to be keeping it at 74 F for my Apfelwein.

The Red Ale is done fermenting so starting today im going to kick up the heat a little bit because I dont think my cider can ferment at 65 F, but maybe im wrong *nothing as of yet, btw*.

Either way, will this hurt my Red Ale batch even though its done fermenting? Also, can i use one of those stick on thermo's for a glass carboy? I need to do some temperature watching on these suckers.

You are right that increasing the temperature in your apartment will not hurt the Red Ale now that it is done fermenting.

Yes, you can use the stick on thermometers for glass carboys. I have them on my two carboys.

You might want to consider other means of temp control besides your AC (which has got to be inefficient). Some people use heating pads, electric blankets, or a box set over the floor register with the carboy underneath it. You could also put the Apfelwein into a tub of water with an aquarium heater to keep it warm. The optimal set up is a chest freezer or refrigerator with an external controller. Just search the forum for temperature control and you'll find lots of ideas.

If you used Montrachet yeast you are fine fermenting at 65°. All of the wine yeasts I've used seem to really like it cooler than beer yeast. The truth is that my Apfelwein fermented much cooler than that and it turned out dandy.

Latest posts

Back