Confessions...My beer doesnt taste good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only do extract beers. I have made several that I would say not only rival commercial beers, but surpass them. Like anyone, I've had some duds too.

Similar to what others have said, there are ways you can try to improve, or at least eliminate things that are causing the issues. Personally, I never use bleach. Starsan is just too easy to use, requires no rinsing and just a couple minutes contact does the job. Temperature control is important. I made a recent batch and didn't have adequate temperature control during first day or 2 of primary- beer had a distinct after taste.

OK perfect! I will use the tablets and get rid of the bleach. Replace with PBW and more starsan. One more thought - would my water quality negate the use of starsan? Id read that hard water neutralizes starsan...and my solutions are cloudy, but tests on the strip at 2-3.

Someone asked what my process is, and I'll do my best to describe:

Brewing - I have an 8 gal Mega pot with a temp probe at about the 3gal mark, no racking valve. I have the usual small equipment, and multiples of most things - thermometers, grav readers, etc. Using a gas stove and two separate plastic laundry sinks. On brew day I usually fill one sink with 5-8 gals of tap water and 1-2 oz of starsan. Second sink is for cooling the kettle at end of boil, using ice packs and swapping out the water 2-3 times in 40 mins. It usually takes about 40 mins to cool a batch down to 80F. Usually use tap water for everything.

Fermentation - I use a mixture glass carboys and the popular plastic big mouth fermentors with spigots. Its safe to say come secondary transfer time, I probably introduce a fair amount of oxygen while racking. I generally pull the primary out of the fermentor room and set it on the counter the night before. Next day I auto siphon beer into the secondary if necessary. Below I have the sanitized secondary and even with a low flow rate through the auto siphon hose it seems I get a fair amount of bubbles and a little bit of foam. This bothers me but am unsure what I can do about it. Fermentors go into an old shower that I havent used in over 10 years. I built a loosely fitting door (to contain heat but also to allow ventilation) and lined the walls inside with 1/2" hard foam insulation. I take notes each brew, and use iphone calendar to remind me when to rack, bottle, check for grav, etc.

Kegging is simple, but again, the racking process is probably introducing a good amount of oxygen. Simple hoses and siphoning. Im just about ready to get rid of bottling completely, as its an unpleasant hassle of label removal, cleaning inside, and relabeling. But it is an easy way to share the beer.

Not sure what else to include, suspect my methods are pretty standard. I will say that with these new biab kits, I have issues with the amount of water they recommend for the initial soak and sparging. I just reverse them, and Im having trouble finding a wide enough strainer basket for the grain bag to drain from. Strainers just arent built to accomodate a 12inch kettle rim....

ericbw made my point before I got to it. Now that we know you are focusing on belgians your main issue may not be temperature control. I tend to brew belgians in spring and fall to increase my pipeline since I let them go ambient in my garage.

I would not agree with his other points though. Your basement is too warm for ale yeast like wlp001 since the fermentation temperature will be well above ambient and you could easily be in the mid 70s during peak fermentation in a 68F room. I'd guess it is about right for free rising belgians. Perhaps you want ability to give them a bit of warmth at very end of fermentation to eek out last bit of attenuation before yeast throws in the towel.

Water issue seems more likely. Definitely get rid of those chloramines. Perhaps try a batch with RO/distilled water from store and build up salt profile. This would be inexpensive and might make a bigger difference than you would think. If that works perhaps an RO system is in your future.

Another step up in quality is going to All Grain. You can make excellent extract beer, but you have the uncertainty of the quality and age of your extract.

OK perfect! I will use the tablets and get rid of the bleach. Replace with PBW and more starsan. One more thought - would my water quality negate the use of starsan? Id read that hard water neutralizes starsan...and my solutions are cloudy, but tests on the strip at 2-3.

if you weren't treating for the chloramines that could be pretty much the whole issue

Fermentation - I use a mixture glass carboys and the popular plastic big mouth fermentors with spigots. Its safe to say come secondary transfer time, I probably introduce a fair amount of oxygen while racking. I generally pull the primary out of the fermentor room and set it on the counter the night before. Next day I auto siphon beer into the secondary if necessary. Below I have the sanitized secondary and even with a low flow rate through the auto siphon hose it seems I get a fair amount of bubbles and a little bit of foam. This bothers me but am unsure what I can do about it. Fermentors go into an old shower that I havent used in over 10 years. I built a loosely fitting door (to contain heat but also to allow ventilation) and lined the walls inside with 1/2" hard foam insulation. I take notes each brew, and use iphone calendar to remind me when to rack, bottle, check for grav, etc.

Probably don't need the secondary. This is technique left over from home wine making and most people I talk to are skipping it.

Kegging is simple, but again, the racking process is probably introducing a good amount of oxygen. Simple hoses and siphoning. Im just about ready to get rid of bottling completely, as its an unpleasant hassle of label removal, cleaning inside, and relabeling. But it is an easy way to share the beer.

I know the oxygen guys are going to land on you with both feet but I'm just not sure that is the issue. You are not making lagers and you are not making hoppy beers. Best belgian beers are not kegged, they are refermented in the bottle. That process scrubs the beers of oxygen that got introduced during the bottling process. If you do keg belgian beers I suggest you naturally carbonate them to mimic the bottle conditioning process.

I also really doubt anything you are doing in the mashing process is responsible for your dissatisfaction with the end product. Again I can hear the LODO guys coming from over the hill but aside from that idea most of mashing comes down to whether you are getting enough fermentable sugars out of the grain. If you are hitting expected OG and FG you are good to go. If you are missing OG low you can look at improving efficiency. If you are hitting OG but missing FG high you can look to improve attenuation.

So the simple answer to your question is no, I don't think my beers are sub-par. I think my beers are commercial-quality. Maybe not all at the level of the best craft beers on the market, but if you came to my house and drank from my kegerator, I would think that you'd find my beer to be something that you wouldn't feel uncomfortable paying for at a typical brewery.

I definitely see a few potential things here:

1) Extract/kits. You can make good beer from extract. But it needs to be fresh extract. In a lot of kits, the extract has been packaged for too long and sits around. I'd also say that if you're making Belgian beer from kits, it is probably using light malt extract. This might be too dark for the delicate base of a Belgian beer. If you can get extra-light extract, or even better to use pilsner malt extract, it will probably help some of this. Order from a reputable online source where you expect they have high stock turnover, so that the freshness is better.

2) Racking. Oxygen is the devil when it comes to beer, and *many* people have had issues with autosiphon. I completely swore off the autosiphon early on. If you're seeing bubbles, you're getting O2 in your beer. That's not good. I use this method which I posted about recently.

3) Water, as others have pointed out. If you're doing extract, just buy big 5 gal bottles of filtered spring water. You don't need distilled or RO for extract. But even for extract, you need water without chlorine/chloramine, and it sounds like your water might be too high in dissolved minerals for "ideal".

4) Secondary. If you're kegging, don't use secondary. Simply rack directly from your fermenter into your serving keg. If you are worried about the beer clearing, let it sit in your kegerator at serving temp for a week and then pull off the first 1-2 cloudy pints. Secondary is just one additional chance to oxidize your beer. A bottling bucket is yet another additional chance to oxidize your beer. Minimizing transfers (particularly since you say you have trouble with oxygen during racking) will help.

5) Kegging vs bottling: If you need to fill bottles, FILL THEM FROM THE KEG. The nice thing about this is that your bottles will be carbonated and clear compared to bottle conditioning. There are methods to fill from the keg that will minimize oxygen pickup, whether it's a counterpressure bottle filler or a homemade rig.

That's not even getting into fermentation temperature control, which it sounds like you're only marginal on for typical American ales (although for Belgian styles your temps should be ok).

But the key to remember is that making beer is very much process-driven. At each step of your process you have the chance to reduce quality. Honing each process step to minimize the likelihood of doing something that damages the beer will get you there.

And there's always room for improvement. I was making beer I really enjoyed almost 9 years into the hobby. It was consistently good, and I was doing fairly well in competitions when I actually got off my butt and got around to entering. But at that point I went from tap water to RO water + minerals (I do AG). And I immediately saw a marked improvement in my beer quality, particularly for pale styles (which is often hard to brew with poor water). They went from good to great. And I recently discovered I wasn't even doing it right. I was mistakenly not adding enough acid to my mash water because I wasn't using my spreadsheet right, and so I just changed that two batches ago and am waiting to see how much improvement that very simple adjustment made.

So keep at it. If you keep trying to improve your process, your beers can ABSOLUTELY reach commercial quality consistently.

Regarding Star San:
The hard water problem is only a problem if you want to keep it around for a while in solution.
If you mix up a few gallons to use on brewday or a few days before, even, it'll be fine. If you want to fill a spray bottle with solution to keep around for weeks or months just to spritz the occasional surface or item, then you should mix that with distilled water so it will keep.

I'm still not sure what method you're using.
Nope, wasnt aware. Wouldnt every municipality use chlorine to sanitize their tap water?
Almost all of them do (some might use ozone instead, I don't know.) But a lot have started adding a little ammonia too, to stabilize the chlorine. That's where the chloramine comes from.

My beer got a lot better when I started mixing RO water with the tapwater (to dilute the alkalinity) and adding acid malt. I participated in a club "big brew" where everybody brought 5 gallons of RO water, and we built the water up from that and brewed a wheat beer on someone's 1bbl brewery and took 5 gallons of wort home. That beer turned out awesome even tho' I fermented it way too warm (I used T-58 yeast, and it apparently likes warm)

1. If you're brewing all-grain, you need to get your water under control. (if you're doing extract beers, the water is less important but you still need to treat tapwater for chlorine/chloramine)
  2. And you need to use yeasts that will work with whatever temperature you have.
  3. And you need to brew beers that you like. (that one's profound, ain't it?) I've been brewing cream ales and malty blonde beers this year, and brewing the same couple of beers over and over. I didn't even know that I liked cream ale.
  4. Sanitation is important, but it sounds like you know that already and are doing okay there. Fix everything else, then look at sanitation again.
I just recently heard of a yeast called "Hothead" that will ferment clean on the 90's. I'm going to try it next summer. :)

I
I always prefer a commercial craft beer to one of mine. Never had a homebrew that tasted so good I drank it all up. And sometimes I get tired of the rising cost of kits and the never ending stream of new equipment. It aint a cheap hobby anymore.

I do sanitize with bleach and "the foam" but am never sure.
Just looking for other sympathetic souls out there who might feel their beers dont taste as good as beer from the store.

Short answer to your post, do these 4 things for better beer:

1. Stop using kits, some of my best brews have very simple grain bills, maybe 2 malts. The sooner you get used to putting together your own ingredients, the better.
2. Don't use bleach, use star san.
3. Get a small freezer/temp control unit for fermentation control, they are pretty cheap used and actually pretty cheap brand new.
4. Stop bottling and start kegging. My beer flavors were inconsistent, some good, some not so good until I started kegging.

I can guarantee that your beer will get better if you do the above 4 things.

Well, Ive had to do almost nothing about this, because my basement is pretty consistent in temp, always about 69-70 in warmer months and 60-62 in colder months...

To be honest, I have been trying to brew belgian styles for the last couple of years, because Im drawn to those styles, and its been frustrating. The few beers I did have turn out alright were actually not belgian at all -
a light golden ale and a pale ale clone. So youre advice might be right here.

So let's hold onto that - you have made beer that turned out alright. That knocks out a whole load of "systematic" factors, and turns attention more on what's different between your pale ales and your Belgians.

One obvious comment is that you're comparing yourself with some of the world's greatest brewers, even if you're a pretty good homebrewer it can be like you're the guy who might be #20 in the world that Roger Federer beats in straight sets in the first round.

I'm still not quite clear whether you're using extract or all-grain (is that BIAB just for the speciality grain? That might be something to look at). But I don't think it's a secret that extract is not as good as all-grain. It's fine for hop-led styles, but any imperfection in your malt is really obvious in a malt-led beer like - just about any Belgian style. So trying to match a world-class Belgian with extract is a bit like facing Federer with a baseball bat. So if you want to come close to world-class Belgian beers, I'd suggest all-grain would be high up the list of places to start.

Obviously it's nice to have detailed control of your fermentation temperature - but your basement sounds about as good as it gets without going into detailed control of temperature. Many British homebrewers (and historical commercial breweries) have similar conditions to what you describe, it's good enough for now. When you're nearly at the stage of throwing in the towel because brewing is feeling like a bit of a money pit, then there's no point buying lots of new hardware, and given where you are with the basement, a fermentation fridge is nice to have rather than an essential.

My saison tasted too bitter, but since then have tasted other saisons that were just as bad so not sure there...maybe saisons are so widely ranged in taste that there needs to be a classification for each taste variance. My Moinette and La Fin Du Monde clones turned out terrible. I dumped them out after shelving them for 4 years in hopes of maturation/conditioning.

"Too bitter" - are we talking bitter as in beery bitterness, or was it more like the dry astringency you get from a stewed cup of tea? Possibly suggests problems with whatever you're BIABing - or was it just a recipe problem, too many bittering hops? If the former, too high a pH may well be the problem - some phosphoric or lactic acid will help here.

Or are you just less keen on saisons that you thought you were?

What was so terrible about the Moinette and La Fin Du Monde clones? It's a bit hard to diagnose if all we have to go on is "terrible". Taste is something that's hard to do over the internet, it's where a club or LHBS can help out.

I'd be tempted to repeat either the pale or golden again, but with some pH control of any BIAB element, and using Camden and non-bleach sanitiser to ensure no chlorine is getting near. Hopefully that will a) result in drinkable beer again, which will be good for your confidence and b)better beer than last time, so you can feel like you're making progress.

Then I'd either go all-grain or at least try a simpler Belgian recipe, something like a fairly "standard" tripel say without too many adjuncts or speciality grains, but some characterful yeast so that you can see what the yeast is bringing to the party. And go for a generic one that you can assess on its own merits, rather than trying to match a specific commercial beer. Try to bridge that gap between the pale ale and the Belgians, but in baby steps, not making lots of changes at once.

I'm going to throw out a different perspective here while asking a couple clarifying questions. And, sorry for how long this post is!!

1. What method of brewing are you doing? Others have asked/explained earlier, but if you're getting kits and they're saying soak the grains in only 1 or 2 gal of water and then you're adding extract during the boil, then you're doing extract with steeping grains, not BIAB, which won't use extract. The exception is if you're using extract to make up for poor efficiency usually seen with high gravity beers.

2. If you're trying to get get Belgian beers, what yeast strains? I like to make some Belgians but have played with 4 or 5 strains so far and to me there are definite differences that could be turning you off to them, I stopped making any Belgians for a year and half because of this. Then, tried a couple different strains and enjoyed them better.

3. What are your fermentation/bottling/kegging schedules like? Can you explain when you're transferring to a secondary(if you're using one), how often are you checking the gravity, etc?

4. What isn't that you don't like about your beers? Are they not malty enough, by that I mean are you looking for more caramel/toffee, more dark fruit, etc? Do you not like the mouthfeel, too thin/too thick? With a golden or pale are you not getting the hope flavors you're looking for?
To clarify my thinking with those questions.

If you're thinking you're doing one style of brewing but are actually doing another, I would likely think there might be a process problem. If you're doing 100% extract brewing (which I doubt these days) we could start talking about when you're adding the extract and how much you're adding at certain points of the boil. If you're doing extract with steeping grains then the same applies, how much and when is extract being added? If you're doing BIAB we can talk about how much water you're mashing with, to sparge or not to sparge, how you're milling the grain, etc. Traditional all grain would lead to some of the same questions, but slightly more in the process.

Yeast strain, regardless of being Belgian or not, could be a big culprit. WY 1056 (American Ale) and WY 1272 (American Ale II) have noticeable differences to my palate, while a couple friends don't taste the difference with the same beer. WY 3711 (French Saison), WY 3724 (Belgian Saison), and WLP566 (Belgian Saison II), all give a different tasting saison to me. The same can go for Abbey strains, English strains, Hefe, etc. I don't venture much into using the supposed strain between yeast providers, such as 1056 and S-05, but some will say there are differences and some will say there isn't.

When it comes to schedule you stated that you use an app for the scheduling... there is NO set schedule, beer is like good BBQ it's done when it's done and if you try to rush it then it will change the end product, usually not for the better. You're dealing with living organisms for fermentation, they will work how they want to work, but there are "tricks" you can use to encourage them perform slightly differently at times.

Letting us know what aspects you don't like could lead us into the recipes you're using. One of my pet peeves about reading descriptions is they're too vague, malty, spicy, fruity, doesn't tell anybody anything. Malty could mean amongst other things caramelly or dark fruit(raisins/prunes, etc), those are two very different flavors in my book!! Spicy -same thing- are we talking black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, etc all very different flavors. Hops are a whole different world and just my two cents, too many just use the descriptions of citrus, fruity, earthy, dank, etc. If you're talking citrus do you mean lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc they are all different. Fruity is just way too damn wide open, there are hundreds, if not thousands of fruits in this world, at least give us a couple of the fruit tastes you're getting. Dank, are we talking piney, tobacco like, etc...

While a lot of people are focused on water and fermentation temps, I know a few other homebrews, and myself included, that made very drinkable brews when we first started and weren't even thinking about water chemistry or focusing on fermentation temps. But, your tap water isn't horrible unless you're trying to make really fresh tasting IPA's and your fermentation temps might end up being a little high based on what you've said, but they're not ridiculous. We used tap water, treated with campden and started fermentation in the low 60's and let it do it's thing in a basement that was consistently 64-65 degrees. Treating your water and controlling temps will almost certainly help, but I don't think it's the culprit.

I think your main issues are expectations, possibly process, and possibly misunderstanding of kit/recipe descriptions.

Yes, stop using bleach... Get some starsan and be done with it. Keep it in a spray bottle as it keeps for a long time. Just spray stuff down as you need to.

If you're not using fermentation temp control that is also a must for brewing good beer. Know what temp the yeast you're using likes and keep it at the proper temp for the first 7 days or so. Then up the temp and let the yeast clean things up for another 2 weeks. Look into a swamp cool if you don't have the funds to make a fermentation chamber.

If you're BIAB make sure you're getting a good fine crush so your efficiency is decent.

Are you hitting your target gravity when you brew? What is it about your beer that doesn't taste good? Off flavor? Watery/lack of taste? Bad smell? Please be as descriptive as possible so we can help you brew better beer!

Check out the old episodes of Brewing TV and Chop and Brew. Don O's youtube channel is good too.

Just thought of another one... A big one... Yeast!

Liquid or dry? Are you making a starter? How old/viable is the yeast (potentially an issue with kits)? What temp is the wort when you pitch?

If you're pitching a sub-optimal quantity of aged yeast into a too-hot wort, you're asking a lot of them to have them turn it into delicious beer.

Well, here’s my thoughts:

If you want beer closer to the stuff you can buy at the store, I would start looking into doing all grain. Even if it’s a 1 or 2 gallon batch. See if that helps. From what it sounds like, you're actually doing extract with steeping grains, not BIAB.

Other than that, pretty much everything else said here applies as well. If you want to brew beer that tastes like stuff made by commercial breweries, you need to think like them: Water chemistry, temperature control (throughout the entire process), yeast pitching rates, all grain, freshest ingredients possible, sanitation and good recipe design.

You can brew amazing beer, but it takes some effort. I would start with a simple BIAB batch, maybe an IPA or something hoppy.

I would have to guess that at the peak of fermentation the interior of a fermenter can reach 5 to 10 degrees F. above ambient air temperature. Particularly with some of the aggressive ale yeasts.

Water chemistry and mash pH could also be contributing to your dissatisfaction. Are you perhaps using chlorinated city water?

I was going to say the same thing... I was a a small brewery recently on a vacation trip where they owner made beer that had come out very fruity and needless to say it was because he thought making the fermenter room all one temp for everything would mean everything inside would be that temp and ferment there... you could tell the yeast got too warm.

I have a rather hard time telling if my beer is as good as a quality micro-brew, since whether or not I personally show any dissatisfaction toward it (which is admittedly sometimes the case) my children (all grown adults above the age of 30), friends, and relatives all swear it is the best beer they ever tasted. I try to encourage them to be honest, but it seems that this is to no avail.

+1 on this!

Use the best water you can afford, or buy ro and build a profile. Go all grain and use good recipes. These are the keys you need imho. Try the founders breakfast stout recipe released by the brewer.

I won't repeat what so many have already stated but I would like to mention pertinent matter. First, I would say about 3 out of 4 batches I brew are comparable to many of the commercial beers, give-or-take. However, it may sound like I'm boasting but really I think a lot of commercial beers are underwhelming. If you're going to charge 10 USD for a sixer (common price for craft beer) then it should always be as good or better than a homebrewer who has ~2 years experience (myself). That's my take on homebrew vs commercial at the moment.

My beer was pretty sub-par when I was doing extract kits with steeping grains. I couldn't really figure out what I was doing wrong. When I started doing extract with partial mash, making my own recipes, and only using light DME as extract, things got a lot better. It could have been that this change in procedure simply correlated with me doing a bunch of other things right, or maybe made the difference. I'm not sure. Since going mostly full-BIAB, my beers have been equally good. The occasional bad beer happens when I do something that's ill-advised or I make a recipe that doesn't really work.

I think a lot of commercial beers are underwhelming.

+1. And in ways I didn't really notice until I started brewing my own beer. I really didn't have an appreciation of what makes a bad beer until I started making it (and then making good beer).

I know the oxygen guys are going to land on you with both feet..

That seems a bit paranoid.
This low oxygen guy thinks the same as most everyone else here that the OP's issues are probably his water, the use of bleach and more then likely he is sensitive to extract twang. I doubt making any Lodo changes to his system, at this point, would make any noticeable difference in the final product. IMO after all the lower hanging fruit is picked in the process and he is still searching for that last little bit of something he is sure was there in the commercial Belgian examples but can't quite get.. then it's time to talk about low oxygen.

90% of the time my homebrew is leaps and bounds better then beer i buy..Not saying im a better brewer but freshness matters and most beers on the shelf have been there for awhile...right now im drinking a sierra nevada and it tastes like caramel turds it did not leave the brewery tasting like this..This is a science art form and you can make the best beer in the world, just keep brewing and keep learning

I don't have a temp control system so I change my brewing depending on the season. Summer I use yeasts that benefit from the warmer weather and turn to other strains in the fall and winter months.

I'm lucky and live in an area with a mild climate so I can get away with ambient temperature ferments most of the time. I also steer clear of tap water as it sucks around here. I get water from a vending machine that costs me 35 cents a gallon.

OP still hasn't explained how he uses the water in his sink with the Starsan mixed in... if it's used for strike water, for example.

That seems like a bad idea!! But he said he's not using strike water, I thought.

Everything, from bleach to temp control to water...need attention.

Great advice above.

Do 2 things. Find a mentor who will help you. Do things the way they do. Alternatively, the brew club is a great idea. Might be where you find a mentor.

Second, every time you brew, do something better than the last time. If you keep doing things the same way every time, you can expect the same results.

Good luck--you'll get there.

Well, here’s my thoughts:

If you want beer closer to the stuff you can buy at the store, I would start looking into doing all grain. Even if it’s a 1 or 2 gallon batch. See if that helps. From what it sounds like, you're actually doing extract with steeping grains, not BIAB.

Other than that, pretty much everything else said here applies as well. If you want to brew beer that tastes like stuff made by commercial breweries, you need to think like them: Water chemistry, temperature control (throughout the entire process), yeast pitching rates, all grain, freshest ingredients possible, sanitation and good recipe design.

You can brew amazing beer, but it takes some effort. I would start with a simple BIAB batch, maybe an IPA or something hoppy.

Just a thought. I don't want to brew beer comparable to commercial beers....I want to brew better than that. I think OP should aim for that goal, too. :)

My 2 cents.

Just a thought. I don't want to brew beer comparable to commercial beers....I want to brew better than that. I think OP should aim for that goal, too. :)

My 2 cents.

Well, the best commercial breweries are pretty darn excellent, and consistently so.

If as a homebrewer I can get my quality on par or very close to the best commercial breweries, accepting that I cannot likely equal their consistency of process, I'm happy.

The key for me then becomes twofold:

1) I can brew what *I* want. I'm making recipe choices to make my girlfriend and I happy, not some "generic customer". So it's *my* beer.
2) I have the pride of doing it myself, of having friends over and being astounded that what I brew in my garage is actually REALLY good.

I don't delude myself and say that I'm a better brewer than the professionals at Stone, Ballast, Modern Times, etc. I don't delude myself and say I'm a better technical brewer than the guys at ABInbev and MillerCoors, who have forgotten more about brewing than I'll ever learn.

It's a laudable goal. To want to brew beer as close to the Platonic Ideal of beer that you can possibly brew. But realistically, I think a very good homebrewer can brew better beer than the median craft brewery, and that's pretty solid just in itself.

+1. And in ways I didn't really notice until I started brewing my own beer. I really didn't have an appreciation of what makes a bad beer until I started making it (and then making good beer).

I got to comparing my beer with the commercial styles, side by side. If the home brew is better than store-bought, great. Failure can teach a lot.

My 2 cents.

I think for most people, commercially brewed beer is the benchmark they try to match or beat. I brew better beer than several local microbreweries, but that’s not saying much, since they suck to begin with. Then there’s some breweries that definitely make better beer than me, at least in my opinion, but I’m pretty judgmental when it comes to my brews. I think most people would be happy with brewing beer that’s comparable to what’s available at the store, it’s certainly possible to beat it too, but that might take some skill and practice.

Personally, I’m happy if it’s comparable to what I can buy at the store. If it’s better, I consider that a bonus. :mug:

I'll chime in with what others have said, the single biggest leap forward in the quality of my homebrew was fermentation temperature control. My next step is to set it up so I push from the fermentor to the keg using co2 to cut out any exposure to air.

Edit: I'd be remiss if I didnt mention that my beer also got better when i started using a stir plate/yeast starter in order to pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast!

After several years of all-grain brewing I started making Amazing beer after reading and using recipes in Gordon Strong's "Modern Homebrew Recipes" book, switching to RO water,and using temperature control on fermenting.

KC Biermeisters meet the 3rd Friday of every month at Christ the King church in KC, MO. I've been brewing for about 3 years, but just recently joined the club. It's a great time and I can guarantee you would benefit from joining.

http://kcbiermeisters.org/

KC Biermeisters meet the 3rd Friday of every month at Christ the King church in KC, MO. I've been brewing for about 3 years, but just recently joined the club. It's a great time and I can guarantee you would benefit from joining.

http://kcbiermeisters.org/

Boom!!
KC Biermeisters !

I've been reading a lot of good advice in this thread, but I gotta say, if it were me , I'd adopt 1 or two of the suggestions for a batch and evaluate versus changing your entire brewing world upside down.

My advise, You can make award winning beer with partial mash kits, I'd prolly work the water angle first. (and ditch the bleach) :mug:

Depends on what commercial beer you're drinking. A lot of times I like my homebrew better. Fresher, to my taste. Most newer commercial beer is off. The ones that have been around are usually fine. I don't really look forward to buying commercial beer.

I think fermentation temp is something to look into, you think you are controlling temps but a fermentation chamber surprises you. It keeps temps stable which is important. After that, use a campden tablet for your water. Then, have we discussed yeast pitch rates? What kits are you buying? Some aren't good.

I would look at your process from step one. Take notes. Don't deviate from your process. Before your next brew day post your plan here. The recipe & steps. Brewing good beer shouldn't be hard.

The thing I love about brewing is that we can make commercial quality at home. We have the same ingredients, and other than the most stringent oxygen avoidance practices, equipment that allows for the same techniques--maintaining a set temperature and pumping fluid around isn't rocket science. The hobby also has a very rich understanding of water chemistry and yeast management these days. We have every tool needed for success.

There is a lot of great advice in this thread and I am looking forward to the OP reporting success in the near future.

My main advice is just a rehash of fermentation temperature control and water management. Fiddling with minerals and mash pH made a huge difference for me.

Maybe I am nuts but regardless of ambient temperature, I am using temperature control for at least the first couple of weeks. When I decide I want a given temperature, it's for a reason, and I don't want to trust that the fermenter won't rise too far. Why not be sure? A freezer or little fridge with controller is cheap and pays dividends for a long time. "Set it and forget it" is wonderful--one less thing to worry about.

As someone said earlier, but I think bears repeating, don't stick to a fermentation schedule. It's done when your taste buds and hydrometer both agree it's done. The calendar doesn't get a vote.

I do recommend a fermenter that dispenses from the bottom so it is easy and sanitary to take small samples whenever you like. This also makes it easier to keg with lower oxygen exposure--this improved my beer a lot.

Good luck!

I have that sometimes, but if it were the rule I think I would have quit brewing a while back. The fact that some of my beers were pretty good kind of snuck up on me. I drank so much of my own beer for so long that I forgot what commercial beers taste like, them eventually I got hold of some bud lite at some gathering or other and was kind of stunned by how little I enjoyed it. I know that’s a pretty low bar, but before I brewed I used to be able to handle bud lite just fine. Of course I’ve made others that I didn’t like as well, but I think they are getting fewer and farther between. I’ve got one in the fridge right now that I made way too strong without any other flavorings to mask the alcohol taste. It’s genuinely hard to drink, but now I know why people try to make stronger beers have a lot of malt character and other flavors going on. As always, it’s a learning process. I’ll use this information in future brews to be sure.

I have that sometimes, but if it were the rule I think I would have quit brewing a while back. The fact that some of my beers were pretty good kind of snuck up on me. I drank so much of my own beer for so long that I forgot what commercial beers taste like, them eventually I got hold of some bud lite at some gathering or other and was kind of stunned by how little I enjoyed it. I know that’s a pretty low bar, but before I brewed I used to be able to handle bud lite just fine. Of course I’ve made others that I didn’t like as well, but I think they are getting fewer and farther between. I’ve got one in the fridge right now that I made way too strong without any other flavorings to mask the alcohol taste. It’s genuinely hard to drink, but now I know why people try to make stronger beers have a lot of malt character and other flavors going on. As always, it’s a learning process. I’ll use this information in future brews to be sure.
Dont forget as a person ages their taste buds change drastically and become less sensitive.. a person in their twenties could likely discern more flavor from that bud lights than say someone in their 50s.. Ive noticed my preferences have evolved quite a bit ... Guinness for example was unbearable the first time I had it at 19... now I really enjoy it. Some things are also an acquired taste that alter other perceptions.

Back