Conditioning time at 63F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissRico

Reaction score
I'm brewing an extract IPA in my cellar which has a steady cool 63-64F temperature. The plan was to leave it 7 days in the primary, rack to secondary (to dry hop) and leave to condition for 14 days b4 bottling.

I actually racked a little earlier than originally planned. To let the final activity of the attenuation generate some CO2 to displace any oxygen from the transfer.

But I'm noticing that my yeast is still active 4 days after racking (not super active just a bubble every 2 minutes or so)

Brewday OG 1.064
Rack SG 1.026 on day 6

So my question is now about the schedule for conditioning. Since it looks like my attenuation seems to have taken 10 days rather than 7, should I condition for 20 days rather than 14?

Wyeast 1056. Should bring me down to 1.016 but I'll take a couple of readings in 2 weeks when I should be bottling

Next time leave it in the primary for the 3 weeks, then remove the air lock and w/a funnel add your "dry hops". Put the air lock back and in a week cold crash for 4 days then rack and bottle. Should be good and clear if you are careful when racking.

Thanks C-Rider. That's the plan for the next IPA (after the Hefeweizen).

I decided to rack at least one time to give myself a reference, so I could have my own opinion on whether it is worthwhile. My IPA fits with the "you only ever want to rack if you're dry-hopping" argument...

I'll set some aside and see if it was worth the trouble/stress/worry on the next batch.

Got stuck at 1.026. Moving it to somewhere warm to see if that moves things along

Ive been leaving beer in the primary for conditioning and dry hopping(in a bag) at 63 deg all winter.(My floor temp) Nothing but goodness.

I have had great results with dry hopping my IPA in the primary. FG is usually about day 12 to 14. This is the first SG reading and FG confirmed about day 21. Day 21 sample usually shows very little CO2 left in suspension and the beer is clear, that is when I dry hop. Sometimes it is up to day 25 before CO2 has diminished. Had read that CO2 leaving solution will scrub hop aroma. That my reason for the long primary before dry hopping. Typical primary for other beers is 21 days before bottling.

Day three of dry hopping, rock the carboy a small amount, and the dry hop pellet debris begins dropping.

Back