Conditioning in Fridge: Is it Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incoerenza86

Reaction score
Hello,

It may sound a silly/newbie question but I wonder if it is possible:

Can I let conditioning specific kinds of beer (e.g. lager, koelsch etc.) right after bottling in the fridge? Temperature there is normally around 5-6 degrees Celsius which should be ideal for this kind...

Let me know your views!

Thanks

I have a refrigerator specifically for fermenting my beer, The top of the refrigerator holds whatever is fermenting, The lower half holds beer that is aging after bottling, my refrigerator maintains 55 to 60°, i'm not hundred percent sure but I think at cooler temperatures it takes longer, I ferment on my beers at this temperature and it does increase the amount of time for proper fermentation, I only do this so that I can control the beer much better and I feel as though I get a cleaner beer, as for the bottles I believe it takes longer to mature could be wrong but this is how it seems to work for me

Well, you'll want it to carb up first someplace warmer. Sticking it right in the fridge will make the yeast go dormant and not carb up the beer.

My idea is: 3 weeks fermenting in a bucket at room temp (normally around 13-18 degrees) then bottling, a weeks at room temp and 2-3 weeks in fridge

Would work?

My idea is: 3 weeks fermenting in a bucket at room temp (normally around 13-18 degrees) then bottling, a weeks at room temp and 2-3 weeks in fridge

Would work?

Let it go for three weeks at room temperature for carbing. Some will be done after a week, but others will take longer, so I find three weeks is safe for most beers, though some very heavy beers may take a couple months to carb up.

I do most of my kegs this way now. I keg, prime and let them sit in my closet for three weeks, then cold crash and into the kegerator for a week. Some come out over carbed, even though I calculate the priming, but all I ever have to do is bleed off some pressure and everything balances nicely. On some, the first pint may be sludge, but for some, like the Irish Red I just put in, it was nice and clear from the first glass.

You def want to carb & condition at room temp for 3-4 weeks. Then 1-2 weeks fridge time. My hybrid lager bottled up was good at two weeks fridge time. Sorta like lagering,but in the bottles after room temp time. Gave them a nice crispness on the back.

Back