Conditioning horizontal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srehg

Reaction score
Will I have any issues if I store my beer horizontal to condition with brewers best crown caps?

Thanks!

Why do that? The beer will condition but the surface area of beer exposed to the headspace will be increased and the sediment will collect all along the length of the bottle (as opposed to a nice compact bed at the bottom of the bottle).

Yeah, you probably don't want to do that. Your yeast sediment is going to form on the side of the bottle, so when you tip the bottle upright to drink it, you are going to have tons of yeast in suspension.

OK if you are doing a Weizen. Not a good idea for most other styles.

I thought some breweries did this and it was to spread the yeast out to facilitate conditioning.

They tend to roll when stored sideways, and for that matter, the yeast actually have less "height" to be suspended in. The bottom is a LOT closer to the surface.

Thanks all! Was trying to utilize some more space in the closet, but upright will happen!

I condition my bottles for about 2 weeks standing up then store on their sides (actually the aren't quite flat, pitched up about 5 or 10 degrees, on wine racks I got from my father in law. The yeast that accumulated on the bottom ends up like this.

image-2920180141.jpg

Get milk crates, each one holds an entire case of beer in half the space of a cardboard beer case and are stackable as high as you dare have them.

Revy...which size for the milk crates. My beer boxes are starting to deteriorate and I need a solution! Are you talking about the 24qt rectangular crates or the 16qt square ones. Also how do they work with 22oz bombers and stubby (Sierra Nevada) 12oz bottles?

Revy...which size for the milk crates. My beer boxes are starting to deteriorate and I need a solution! Are you talking about the 24qt rectangular crates or the 16qt square ones. Also how do they work with 22oz bombers and stubby (Sierra Nevada) 12oz bottles?

Check out CW crates. They make beer crates out of coroplast (corrugated plastic) that are GREAT! They aren't cheap, but will last forever, stack well and are available for 22 and 12 oz bottles.

http://www.cwcrate.com/

I just use standard milk crates found on the street. They hold all sizes of bottles...the amount of them depends on the bottles. Obviously with wider bottles like bomber and many stubbies,they hold less than 24 bottles. But with some stubbies such as Red Stripe, you can actually do two layers if you want. But you can't stack on top of the crate.

Back