Conditioning and Hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MESmith

Reaction score
Does the Hop flavor mellow with conditioning in a wheat beer? I made the AHS Belgian White Ale and it uses Amarillo hops. I bottled one week ago after a week in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary. Carbonation is OK but has a strong grapefruit flavor. Will this lessen with time?

Yes. From bottling day to first taste go 21 days with the beer at 70°F. The hop flavor will be more mellow later.

What do you want? Orange or grapefruit? Amarillo will tone down. My 3CPA tasted like grapefruit juice for three months.

I want orange/citrus. So I just went to the primary with another batch alittle different than the last.

4 gallon batch ( I was going to put it in 2 Mr Beer Fermentors)

2 cans (2.4 lbs) of Mr Beer Witty Monk ( hopped liquid malt extract I had on hand)
2.4 lbs of liquid wheat extract.
.5 lbs of belgian dark sugar candy
30 min mini mash @ 150*F, 3/4 gal of
.5 lbs of belgian pilsner grains
.5 lbs of malted red wheat
.25 wheat flake
.25 caramel 40L
30 min boil
1/2 tsp of yeast fuel
Zest of 1 medium orange
1/2 oz of crushed coriander.
.3 oz of Mt Hood at 5 min boil
Aeriation for 5 min

OG 1.050

Pitched with 700 ml of propagated safebrew WB-06 at peak ( air lock just starting to slow made with wheat malt for food 1/8 tsp of yeast fuel)

What do yall think?

Back