condesing yeast rinsing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
So I did my first yeast rinse today out of my primary. I got 3 mason jars full right now. I see a little trub falling to the bottom that tells me I should rinse again.

The problem I'm seeing now is the 3 mason jars have different level of yeast settling. The first one I poured into has the most, and then decreases down to the third. So my question is: Can I let the yeast/trub settle to the bottom of all three mason jars over night, Decant these jars, and combined all 3 jars to one jar.

Then from this one jar, let the trub settle out add enough sterilized water to be divided into three jars, and spread the yeast out into 3 smaller jars. In my rationality, Splitting from this one mason jar to three should more evenly distribute the yeast.

Figured I'd illustrate my issue. This is two hours after harvest.

IMG_20121119_203415.jpg

okay.. i'm veeeeery new at this too (washed for the first time last night) but it looks like the three jars got very different amounts of material. From my vast amount of expertise (about 24 hrs), I'd say you need to rinse a second time because your layers look like you still have a decent amount of trub/hops in there. I'd say that the light middle layer is the yeast you are looking for but in each case only looks to be about .25-.5 inch.

I'm sure some more experienced guys will chime in, but I think i actually might be right on this. (happens on a rare occasion)

ok, basic question; How much yeast do you really need? Keep in mind that when you buy a tube of yeast form a commercial supplier, it contains about 1/2 oz of slurrey topped by about 1/2 oz of starter beer. If you need a sample to build up a starter, you surely have far more than you need. I harvest yeast from split starters, basically reserving some slurrey after I cold crash and decant and just before I pitch. I get about 1/8-1/4 OZ actual yeast cells, (after settling for several weeks) which has never failed to provide ample innoculation for a starter. More certainly is better, but I would suggest that unless you've got unlimited refrigeration capacity, you throw away the 2 containers that contain significant amounts or trub, wash the 3rd again, and decant to a preform or 2 (an heir and a spare) I usually harvest to 3 or 4 preforms. That way if one fails to start I can go to a backup. I have standardized my brewing around 4 strains or yeast I keep on hand at all times.

You should visit the yeast washing sticky in this very forum, it illustrates the process very clearly.

Letting the initial wash settle overnight isn't a good idea, letting it sit 20-30 minutes, and then pouring the hazy/milky liquid into another jar is the way most of us separate the yeast from the trub.

The trub settles out far faster than the small yeast cells. So after a half an hour the heavy particles settle out, but the yeast cells are still suspended in the water. By letting it sit overnight, as you can see clearly in your picture, you have two distinct layers (bottom one brownish-beige is trub) and a yeast layer (middle white is yeast).

BigRob said:
You should visit the yeast washing sticky in this very forum, it illustrates the process very clearly.

Letting the initial wash settle overnight isn't a good idea, letting it sit 20-30 minutes, and then pouring the hazy/milky liquid into another jar is the way most of us separate the yeast from the trub.

The trub settles out far faster than the small yeast cells. So after a half an hour the heavy particles settle out, but the yeast cells are still suspended in the water. By letting it sit overnight, as you can see clearly in your picture, you have two distinct layers (bottom one brownish-beige is trub) and a yeast layer (middle white is yeast).

Yes, I've read the sticky. Time was my biggest issue, I didn't have a big enough pot to boil the bother mason jars, as I'd rather sterilize than sanitize. I can get the same effect by shaking the slurry again and then let things settle..

Thanks william , I think I'll do all 3 as I do have a decent amount of space in my fridge. That way if I effed up I have a few extras.

Thanks for the help

Keep in mind when deciding how much of a slurry to use that viability of the yeast after fermentation is complete can vary widely. I did some cell counts last night on the ones I have in my fridge. The viability ranges from 16% viable to 80% viable, and the 16% was actually the most recently harvested. it also seems that dead yeast cells don't drop out very well during washing. Washing is, however, effective at removing hop particles.

Latest posts

Back