Concord pots - flat lid vs domed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybee

Reaction score
In my opinion the lid doesnt really matter. The only time you would be using the lid on a boil kettle is when you are trying to bring the wort up to a boil or to cover the cooled wort while the whirlpool settles before transferring to your fermenter.
For the other two vessels, it shouldnt really matter either unless you need to stack or attach stuff to them.

Thanks, all. I thought I'd read where the kettles themselves are different between the two models.

Thanks, all. I thought I'd read where the kettles themselves are different between the two models.

One version has handles that allow the lid to be hung on them. The other does not. If the handles on the lid are arched, they're not going to sit on the side handles.

Flat. I dimpled/soldered fittings to hang my HERMS coil-combo-chiller under the lid. Would have been a nightmare with the curvy domed lid.

I have domed lid. Everything falls off of it.
I would not hang it on the pot anyway because of the high temp from burners up the kettle side.
Next pot will have flat lid to set things on during storage.
Very good kettles for the price. Can't wait to replace my keggle with the pot.

I have domed lid. Everything falls off of it.

I would not hang it on the pot anyway because of the high temp from burners up the kettle side.

Next pot will have flat lid to set things on during storage.

Very good kettles for the price. Can't wait to replace my keggle with the pot.

Can you invert the lid to allow it to hold things in storage?

Kind of but once they are upside down the raised edge is sitting on the kettle edge so its not exactly stable. If you are looking to stack kettles to save space after brewing you could do it in a corner. Also on the 100qt the lid doesn't hang on the handle, the lid handle is the same width as the kettle handle, I have a 160 and 180qt and those do hang on the handle. Not sure if that matters that much to you.

Selling my 100qt MLT and BK if you are interested.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=590444

Mine is a 60qt version of the first link. I can hang a lid on it, but usually don't. I have two of them, but most of the time I'm doing 5 gallon batches, so I just use my 10 gallon Bayous and use the Concord as a HLT.

I don't know about the 80 qt, but mine suck when it comes to boil off. When I did my first 10 gallon batch I had almost a 2 gallon loss to boil off. I like how wide they are, but I guess that's the trade off with a wide kettle. The 60qt size is 16"x16".

Latest posts

Back