Concord 60qt SS Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
Just received my 60qt Concord kettle. I'll tell you what, I don't think there is a better kettle out there for $86. Man, is this thing stout! It dwarfs my 32qt that I have been using for years. I will be getting a second one in the near future, but for now, it will be utilized for a 10 gallon batch of Raspberry Wheat I plan on brewing in a few weeks.

I got my 10-gallon concord kettle on eBay from "importcookware" for $68 shipped and, I absolutely agree, these kettles are freakin' awesome. Stout construction, thick-walled, unreal for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, I am a fan of the Concord kettles. Why anyone would convert a keg when a shiny new nice kettle with lid is available for $86 dropped on your door step confuses me?

Can anyone tell me the difference in the finishes? I was looking at this 80qt kettle because I liked the lid better (and if I can get a steamer for free, why not?) but the finish looks more brushed. I see some others that look shiny polished. Can anyone confirm if all are one way or the other and this universal pictures they are using aren't really representative of what they are shipping? Or if that kettle I referenced really is brushed and not shiny at all.

thx

Any issues with scorching? It is hard to tell from the pictures online, but it doesn't look like they have bottoms that are as thick as some of the other kettles.

Also, do they sell any of these with built in ports or is it going to be a DIY project to put those in myself?

Any issues with scorching? It is hard to tell from the pictures online, but it doesn't look like they have bottoms that are as thick as some of the other kettles.

Also, do they sell any of these with built in ports or is it going to be a DIY project to put those in myself?

They sell some like this that are pre-drilled.

And they sell some like this that have ball valves and thermometers already installed.

From what I've read though, these options have the drain hole mounted a bit too high so you'll have to figure out how you want to install a dip tube.

They also sell this pot with a kit for installing valve and thermo...even includes the needed drill bit....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONCORD-Hom...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item20e03489cc

Thanks, I did find that same link after I posted my questions.

I have been looking at the 10 gallon size Bayou Classic pots, but the Concords seem to be thicker. I am planning to use it for my brew kettle so the bottom is also important as I want to minimize scorching as much as possible. I would only do 5 gallon batches in it and so , I may not actually need the valve depending on how sturdy the handles are.

I have a couple hundred bucks in Amazon gift cards to spend and want to make sure a get the best pot I can for the money.

I like to build my own things so a 30$ keg is pretty sweet. Cost me maybe 100$ with stainless ball valve, sight glass, and thermometer. But I do like the sounds of that and the price. Will keep them in mind for people who don't have a knack or desire to build.

I love my concord. With hardware from brewhardware.com, I have a great 15 BK.

Thanks, I did find that same link after I posted my questions.

I have been looking at the 10 gallon size Bayou Classic pots, but the Concords seem to be thicker. I am planning to use it for my brew kettle so the bottom is also important as I want to minimize scorching as much as possible. I would only do 5 gallon batches in it and so , I may not actually need the valve depending on how sturdy the handles are.

I have a couple hundred bucks in Amazon gift cards to spend and want to make sure a get the best pot I can for the money.

My vote would be Concord over Bayou Classsic. I have the B/C 44qt., nothing special, thinner than the concord, and I don't like how B/C stamps their logo into the kettle, makes cleaning more difficult IME.

I wouldn't be concerned with scorching...doesn't really happen. Some very expensive pots aren't really all that thick, and tri clad bottoms are really for cooking, not brewing IMO.

You don't NEED a valve, you can always rack the chilled wort out of the kettle, takes a few minutes.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Thanks for the advice. I've been really flipping back and forth on the need for the valve. I'm probably going to go without and see how a few brew days go. If I find that it is a pain without one, I can always add one.

Can anyone tell me the difference in the finishes? I was looking at this 80qt kettle because I liked the lid better (and if I can get a steamer for free, why not?) but the finish looks more brushed. I see some others that look shiny polished. Can anyone confirm if all are one way or the other and this universal pictures they are using aren't really representative of what they are shipping? Or if that kettle I referenced really is brushed and not shiny at all.

thx

Can anyone comment on the different finishes?

Can anyone comment on the different finishes?

Reading the Item description....

Stock pot is made from Commercial Quality 1.0mm thick 18/10 Stainless Steels, Fully Polished.
Stainless Steel handles riveted onto pot for solid construction.
Stock Pot is made from Full Stainless Steel.
Very heavy duty construction, will last a lifetime.

I'm thinking it is the photo, as the description reads fully polished.

Maybe it's me but I think that photo is brushed instead of polished. That's the only problem with eBay; everything is generalized.

I'll be looking for a bag and pulley shortly after, hint-hint.

Sometimes they knock 10% off these...perhaps it's weekends I can't recall.
I think they are both polished...i like the handles on the other FWIW...

Yep, it was 10% ending last night. I'm not in a hurry so I'll watch it during the holiday season and see if it drops again.

The other handle does look more substantial. I don't plan on moving it while full but certainly a consideration. As soon as I say that, I'll have a need to move it, no doubt.

Over the last month, from what I've seen regarding the 10% discount, "importcookware" usually begins the discount again around 24-36 hours after the "sale" ends.

thx[/QUOT I spoke with Concord they said this style lid fits inside the pot.If theres any deflection in the pot the lid is difficult to fit in(tight fit)The new style "ribbed" for lack of better terms fits outside the pot and is more forgiving

Thanks for the heads-up. I am upgrading to a larger system and the Concord 60 qt looks like it would make an excellent hot water tun for 10 gallon batches.

I talked with the seller about the finish. Seems he placed a towel up to not get a full reflection of everything. That's why it looked brushed. It is indeed shiny, fully polished.

Back