Computer Backup software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a free software that manages backing up your local HDD to an external one? I am determined not to lose all my research/photos/recipes again, not to mention reorganizing iTunes all over. I just bought a 640GB external which is about 3 times the size of my internal, so I'm good to go there, but the bundled software is only a trial.

is it a windows, mac, or linux machine?

windows comes with ntbackup
linux files are best backed up w/ tar or dump or similar
mac osx has a decent backup utility included as well

Does anybody know of a free software that manages backing up your local HDD to an external one? I am determined not to lose all my research/photos/recipes again, not to mention reorganizing iTunes all over. I just bought a 640GB external which is about 3 times the size of my internal, so I'm good to go there, but the bundled software is only a trial.

most usb hard drives come with software to backup your systems. if you want i can up the software i have and never used. for pictures upload them to online photo share sites like flickr and burn them onto cd's for other things like papers and what not use a flash drive. just make sure you back them up to cd as well or use something like gmail and email it to yourself.

I've not used it, but I've heard people say good things about SyncToy, free from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

It's a simple tool to keep folders and drives synchronized. If you're on Windows, check it out.

Personally I use SyncBack, which isn't free but does a fantastic job of keeping my crap backed up to external drives. After it's run the first time, it only copies new and changed files. And it doesn't use any sort of proprietary database for storage, it just copies the files over so they're completely accessible.

It's not free but I use Acronis True Image....

I think I paid about 40 bones for it and it's super simple to use and it basically makes a clone of your entire hard-drive. While I've never had to actually try and recover anything, they claim that it only takes about 10 minutes to reload the last clone you saved to your external HD

Latest posts

Back