Compressor fan for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint056

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to wire a fan to cool the compressor while it’s running and shut off when it shuts off? My compressor gets really hot sometimes and it affects the cooling at times

I'd say wire the fan (120V) or a low voltage adapter (for low voltage fan) directly onto the compressor circuit. When the thermostat engages the compressor the fan will come on at the same time, and shuts off with it.

It would be nice to have a built in delay to keep the fan running for another 10 minutes, cooling the compressor after it shuts off, but that requires a bit more circuitry and a different grafting point.

Well, how do I do that? LOL. I'm not sure which of the wires is the one you are referring to?
Thanks!

Well, how do I do that? LOL. I'm not sure which of the wires is the one you are referring to?
Thanks!
If you can't figure that out, you really shouldn't tinker with electricity, and leave it to someone who's qualified and does know what he/she is doing!
Most fridges/freezers come with a schematic, that should help figuring it out.
Please proceed safely.

You could use a temperature controller to turn on/off a fan. The temp controller and fan would be plugged into a separate wall outlet, so there would be no need to modify the refrigerator wiring.

The ITC-308 controller paired with a small 120V fan would be the easiest to setup.

Just ignore the controller's heating function and outlet, you won't need them. Attach the temperature probe of the controller directly to the compressor. Since it's measuring the temp of the compressor, the fan will stay on until the compressor cools down (even after the compressor turns off).

Back