Complications with the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
Well I had my first brew session of the year yesterday, and ran into some trouble during the boil... After about 30 min, I ran out of propane. Which was no big deal because I keep two tanks on hand for just that reason. But when I picked it up it was clearly not full either, so I fired it up, and it only last another 5 min. Long story short the two closest places were out of propane and it took me a good 45 min to get the burner back on.

I wasn't sure how to handle it, so I boiled for 60 min just to be safe. The wort never got below 180 degrees while it sat.

The only negative thing I know right now, is that when I tasted the sort after it cooled, the first bit was more bitter than I anticipated, not so much the second or third sip.

What are the possible negatives introduced by my screw up? I know the hops profile may have changed a bit due to the long boil, I only had my bittering addition added at that point, the only other addition was finishing aroma addition @5 min.

The biggest issue I can see is the possibility of infection. You voided that possibility by bringing the wort to a boil. Good job. Is the wort more bitter than other batches you have tasted of this recipie? Are you used to tasting unfermented wort? IMHO the taste of unfermented wort does ot have very much to do with the taste of beer. The sweetness of the wort will likely accentuate the bitterness. Did you adjust the hop schedule for the AA number on the hops package? The software gives you a starting point based on the *average* AA content of the hops variety. The actual crop can vary from year to year based on the growing conditions. That's why the actuals are printed on the package. Since the initial 30 minute boil (before you ran out of propane) include only the bittering (60 minute) addition, there should be no difference. Most recipies call for a 60 minute bitterness addition because beyond 60 minutes little additional bittering acids are extracted.

The biggest issue I can see is the possibility of infection. You voided that possibility by bringing the wort to a boil. Good job. Is the wort more bitter than other batches you have tasted of this recipie? Are you used to tasting unfermented wort? IMHO the taste of unfermented wort does ot have very much to do with the taste of beer. The sweetness of the wort will likely accentuate the bitterness. Did you adjust the hop schedule for the AA number on the hops package? The software gives you a starting point based on the *average* AA content of the hops variety. The actual crop can vary from year to year based on the growing conditions. That's why the actuals are printed on the package. Did the initial 30 minute boil (before you ran out of propane) include only the bittering (60 minute) addition? If yes there should be no difference. Most recipies call for a 60 minute bitternes addition because beyond 60 minutes little additional bittering acids are extracted. However, if you added the flavor and/or aroma additions, then extended the boil, these hops essentially turn to bittering additions and yes, they will increase your bitterness.

It is more bitter, however I just started brewing last year, and I have only brewed Hefe and Dunkelwiezen before, so that is the only experience I have with tasting unfermented wort.

Yes, previous to the gas runnning out, only my bittering hops had been added. I did make sure that my software had the correct % for my particular hops.

It was a Robust Porter with about 41 IBUs. I knew that was a ways off of my pervious batches, but I guess it still caught me a little offguard. I guess we can chalk that up to having very little to compare it to, and certainly not in that style.

you should be fine. how many hopp additions were there and at what time?

If you had only added the 60 minute addition and boiled it for longer than you should be alright as long as you added the rest of the hops at the time they were supposed to be added towards the end.

you should be fine. how many hopp additions were there and at what time?

If you had only added the 60 minute addition and boiled it for longer than you should be alright as long as you added the rest of the hops at the time they were supposed to be added towards the end.

Yes I only added the 60 min addition.

All told I probably boiled for 100 minutes or so, wasn't sure how that might affect the wort, or the finishing beer flavor.

You will only extract 5%-7% more IBUs out of a 100 minute boil compared to a 60 minute boil. So you will be slightly more bitter than usual. No Worries!

Back