Complex Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmahu

Reaction score
Hello,

I will brew a fresh, floral, hoppy Red IPA soon and would like some critique on the recipe. I will only be using Dingemans and Weyermann grains.

The recipe looks like this:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Size: 23 l
Beer Style: Red IPA
Target ABV: 7.6%
Target IBUs: 80
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.014
Grain bill: 7.3 Kg
Mash time: 75 minutes
Boil time: 75 minutes
..............................................................................................
4000 gr Dingemans Pale Ale
2000 gr Weyermann Munich II
500 gr Flaked Wheat
500 gr Weyermann Caraamber
100 gr Weyermann Melanoidin
100 gr Dingemans Special B
100 gr Weyermann Chocolate Rye
..............................................................................................
Hops

25 gr Comet 45 minutes
25 gr Comet 30 minutes
25 gr Comet 15 minutes
25 gr Comet Flameout
25 gr Amarillo Flameout
25 gr Mosaic Flameout
25 gr Citra Flameout
75 gr Amarillo Dry hopping
75 gr Mosaic Dry hopping
75 gr Citra Dry hopping
75 gr Au35 Dry hopping
...............................................................................................
2 x Wyeast 1272 American Ale II or 2 x Safale US-05

If you are looking for max flavor & aroma I would take a portion of those flameout and / or dry hops and do a hopstand at 82 c for 30 to 45 min. I have found this makes a world of difference.

Cheers

Might be good but seems like a lot going on in that malt bill that will compete with rather than complement the crazy load of hops. I'd probably go with pale and munich with a very small amount of carafa special to get you to red. The beer is 1.072 so there is going to be malty goodness from the pale all by itself.

Back