Completely lost!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenRuss

Reaction score
Eh everyone. I started two batches of hard cider about a week and a half ago. One is straight up fresh pressed with a cup of dextrose to help ABV. No yeast, just put an air lock on and went to town. OG 1.058
Second batch was the same only I threw a bag of fresh cranberries in some boiling water to sterilize and pop the skins open and tossed them in. No dextrose, just an airlock and away it went.
Both have stopped fermenting, and unfortunately I let then finish at FG 1.000. One of them I was going to back sweeten and bottle pasturize, the Cran-apple I want still. I have read the 1.000 will be very dry and because I used wild yeast, probably won't taste great. What do I use to stop fermentation and kill the yeast so I can back sweeten it and bottle?
Do I just call it a loss, back sweeten and make it sparkling as well?

Both have stopped fermenting, and unfortunately I let then finish at FG 1.000.
what do you mean, "you let it finish at 1.000"? how were you planning on stopping them?

What do I use to stop fermentation and kill the yeast so I can back sweeten it and bottle?
Do I just call it a loss, back sweeten and make it sparkling as well?

you should use sorbate and a sulfite to stabilize your cider. potassium sorbate and campden tablets are the most common forms of these.

this won't completely kill the yeast. it will only stn them and prevent reproduction. there will still be a little active yeast in there. if you use fermentable sugar for backsweetening and priming, you'll need to pasteurize the bottles once carbonation is achieved.

alternately, use a measured amount of fermentable sugar for carbonation, and a measured amount of non-fermentable sugar for the backsweetening.

Well the sparkling cider I was going to back sweeten and bottle pasturize.
It's fine, I think I will just stabilize and add a little non fermenting sweetener to taste and bottle it. I am learning as I go and didn't really think any of these things were an option for what I wanted to do but I guess this is the way to go.
Sorry, after I read the question and then know the answer, it seems a little silly now!

Thanks.

Back