Complete noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnyBenét

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I joined the forum a few months ago and went through a lot of reading and I am finally ready to start brewing. First of all, I will need equipment.

I plan on doing malt extract and experiment a bit before moving to partial mash and/or all-grain.

I have a lot of questions that I hope you experienced people will be able to help me with :)

1- Equipment. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a kit somewhere or just buy separate parts. Do you guys know good kits that will serve me for 5 gallon batches? I am looking at great kits sold somewhere online, but I have no idea which kit I should get.. 9 gallon, 5 gallon or more... Most of them do not include a glass carboy, is this needed?

I want this to last me a while and eventually will go all-grain when I acquire enough experience. Any suggestions? Do you guys have a checklist of things I absolutely need?

As for separate parts, I have seen kettles with thermometers that seem much more expensive than the regular brew pots. What do you recommend?

2- Recipes.... Now, this is the part I am having a hard time to understand. If I take for example this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471019

I ain't too sure how to read recipes... How do I know the exact steps of what I need to do? Also, most recipes call for different malt extracts, is this normal? The part where it gives the times, @15mins.. Is this 15mins into the boil? The part that says "dryhop for 6 days after fermentation.." What does that mean? Also, I noticed people usually don't tell exactly which LME and DME brand of extract they used. How to pick the right one?

3- Ingredients... Hops: on the package, there is a percentage. What does it refer to? What is the different between alpha and beta?

4- Is there anywhere you suggest me to read and learn step-by-step about how to brew something from a formula like this, instead of pre-made kits?

5- Gravity... Primary, final gravity.. I read about it, but I don't think I understand how it works... When/how to I measure it, and what will this tell me about exactly?

6- IBU... How do you calculate it?

7- Any threads or articles I should be reading that would be help? I am going through the howtobrew website but i'm not sure how accurate/updated it is.

Thanks for everything. After I buy my equipment and get ready, I might come back for more questions :)

Last edited:
Lots of questions and I will cut through the bulk of them and answer the easier ones because I got here before everyone else save for Aristotelian.

Equipment - deluxe kits from most brew supply stores will get you started. If going 5 gal or larger, get a 10 gallon kettle with a tri-ply bottom and a propane burner. Stoves will not get you there fast enough.

Glass carboy - nope - don't do it. Speidel fermenter, better bottle, big mouth bubbler, stainless steel - whatever. no glass. Lots of good options out there and at a decent price.

All grain is fine to start with. Mash is your key Learn the difference between clean and sanitized and know when to employ both. Do a dry run or two before starting to make sure you get it, come back her and ask a few questions. Then put heat to water and water to grain. Do not hurry and don't sweat it. Simple recipes have fully modified grains and special mash processes are not needed. It is easy enough.

Recipes - starting with 5-gal batches makes this easy. Do not do recipes yet and order the most simple complete kit at the most accessible brew supply - just make sure to get the yeast in the fridge as soon as it comes in. Get good at brewing before moving to making recipes.

Gravity - follow instructions on the kit. They will tell you when. just make sure the calibrated temperature on your hydrometer matches the temperature of the wort/beer.

IBU. Do not consider this yet.

the how to brew mentioned by Aristotelian will take care of the rest

Brew Pots- Most new extract get a 5 gal kettle, they work well for extract but won't be very useful if you decide to upgrade . I would get at least an 8 gal economy pot it will save you from having to upgrade later and the price difference now is slim to none. With one 8 gal pot ~$50 and a 2 gal pot I had lying around I was easily able to do extract ( no worries of boilovers) and was successful with moderate gravity brew in a bag (before upgrading to a 3 tier system).

Long story short I recommend an inexpensive 8 gal pot it will serve you well now and later. I would find the cheapest aluminum pot on amazon and it will be be great (make sure it comes with a lid).

Aluminum is fine just boil water in it before you use it and don't use harsh chemicals or scrubbies.

My comments in red:

Hey guys,

I joined the forum a few months ago and went through a lot of reading and I am finally ready to start brewing. First of all, I will need equipment.

I plan on doing malt extract and experiment a bit before moving to partial mash and/or all-grain.

I have a lot of questions that I hope you experienced people will be able to help me with :)

1- Equipment. I am trying to decide whether I should buy a kit somewhere or just buy separate parts. Do you guys know good kits that will serve me for 5 gallon batches? As for separate parts, I read somewhere that for 5 gallon batches, it is better to get a 8 or 9 gallons kettle/brew pot to avoid boilovers. Also, I have seen kettles with thermometers that seem much more expensive than the regular brew pots you usually can buy in a kitchen store. What do you recommend?

I started my extract phase with a 5 gallon aluminum stock pot that I already owned. It is enough for extract. If you are buying with 5 gallon all grain in mind go for a 10-15 gallon stainless pot. You will have to decide the quality and options; valve, thermometer, sight glass etc.

I got all my fermenters, funnels, siphons etc with Northern Brewer's Deluxe starter kit. It included more 5 years ago than it does now. You will need a few extra items.

2- Recipes.... Now, this is the part I am having a hard time to understand. If I take for example this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471019

I ain't too sure how to read recipes... How do I know the exact steps of what I need to do? Also, most recipes call for different malt extracts, is this normal? The part where it gives the times, @15mins.. Is this 15mins into the boil? The part that says "dryhop for 6 days after fermentation.." What does that mean? Also, I noticed people usually don't tell exactly which LME and DME brand of extract they used. How to pick the right one?

Times are usually the amount of time left in the boil so 60 minutes would be at the start of a 60 minute boil and 15 would be with 15 minutes left. Look at Northern Brewer extract kits, scroll down to additional information tab and click it. Then click recipe and instructions, this will give you a workable procedure. You can adapt the procedure to most recipes.

3- Ingredients... Hops: on the package, there is a percentage. What does it refer to? What is the different between alpha and beta?

The percentage is for alpha acids and that is what you are most concerned about. For a while I would not concern yourself about that. Just use the type of hop the recipe calls for and add it when called for. When you start formulating your own recipes is when you will need to know this % number.

4- Is there anywhere you suggest me to read and learn step-by-step about how to brew something from a formula like this, instead of pre-made kits?

Get the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer, there is an outdated version for free online. I would suggest at least one pre-made kit to learn the brewing process though

5- Gravity... Primary, final gravity.. I read about it, but I don't think I understand how it works... When/how to I measure it, and what will this tell me about exactly?

Original gravity is the gravity before you add the yeast. Final gravity is after the fermentation is complete. You measure this with a hydrometer.

6- IBU... How do you calculate it?

This is "bitterness units". You can use a recipe building software and it will make the calculations for you. If you use a tried and true recipe you don't need to concern yourself with this yet.

7- Any threads or articles I should be reading that would be help? I am going through the howtobrew website but i'm not sure how accurate/updated it is.

read the threads on this site. Especially ones where someone is asking about a problem and study the answers.

Thanks for everything. After I buy my equipment and get ready, I might come back for more questions :)

On some of this you are getting ahead of yourself and asking about more advanced things.

I still suggest getting a starter kit, or look at a lot of the ones offered, and make a list of what you need to buy the items separately (you can save some money this way)

Then, buy a kit or two. They take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. You don't have to worry about buying all of the ingredients and getting the same ones as a recipe calls for. You might not be able to find all the ingredients in a recipe at one homebrew store or website.

But a kit will include all the proper ingredients. And should include instructions that will make that beer. Though most recipes keep things simple and do not go into details that will make the beer better, for instance how to handle yeast in the best way or how to control fermentation temperatures, two easy steps that will make your beer better.

Read up, you have a good start but need to fill in a lot of blanks..

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Fermentors- A 6.5 gal plastic bucket will serve you well, especially just starting out. If you decide to upgrade your fermentation vessel you can always use it as a bottling bucket or just to hold star san, that's what I do. I get my buckets from a local bakery for $1 food grade and they seal better than the 16$ ones you buy at your LHBS. There are certain things that in my opinion you'll never out grow, buckets is one of them.

Random miscellaneous equipment: Star san sanitizer (don't fear the foam), Beer bottles, racking cane, bottle caps, wort chiller, hydrometer and test tube, thermometer, oxyclean free, strainer/collander, bucket for soaking bottles in. I'm sure there's something I missed

Get a 10 gallon brew kettle right off the bat! If you do stay with brewing, you will need it for 5 gallon batches, BIAB , all grain or anything in-between. Aluminum kettles can be had cheap but the Bayou Classic 1140 Stainless 10-Gallon runs about $140.00 but already has the Spigot Basket and Vented Lid and would be my choice if I started out new again.

I would not buy a kit, piece it together to meet your needs.

The fermenter can be just a simple plastic bucket, I use the 6.5 Gallon Bucket with Lid and Spigot from Midwest (I am local to them) for cider, beer and wine. I think it cost me $20.00 with the blubber.

The rest should be purchased as you need them, you can use the kitchen stove to do the heating and boil, pre-frozen bottled water to cool the boil etc.

Go look around the DIY and automation forums. Then go full electric, indoor, temp controlled fermentation right off the bat. :mug: :tank: Then again I'm crazy :drunk:

Fermentors- A 6.5 gal plastic bucket will serve you well, especially just starting out. If you decide to upgrade your fermentation vessel you can always use it as a bottling bucket or just to hold star san, that's what I do. I get my buckets from a local bakery for $1 food grade and they seal better than the 16$ ones you buy at your LHBS. There are certain things that in my opinion you'll never out grow, buckets is one of them.

Buckets are for storing grains, Bottling, and WINE.. and then only because it is much easier to degas a bucket than a PET bottle. And especially for storing grain.... They are for fermenting beer only when all 6 of my Better Bottles are already in use. Or maybe when adding a fruit, oak chips, or lots of dry hops.

Did you find 6.5 gallon buckets at the bakery? 5 gallon ones are too small to ferment a 5 gallon batch in. BTW my fermenting buckets are at least 7 gallons.

Get a 10 gallon brew kettle right off the bat! If you do stay with brewing, you will need it for 5 gallon batches, BIAB , all grain or anything in-between. Aluminum kettles can be had cheap but the Bayou Classic 1140 Stainless 10-Gallon runs about $140.00 but already has the Spigot Basket and Vented Lid and would be my choice if I started out new again.

I would not buy a kit, piece it together to meet your needs.

The fermenter can be just a simple plastic bucket, I use the 6.5 Gallon Bucket with Lid and Spigot from Midwest (I am local to them) for cider, beer and wine. I think it cost me $20.00 with the blubber.

The rest should be purchased as you need them, you can use the kitchen stove to do the heating and boil, pre-frozen bottled water to cool the boil etc.

+1 on the 10 gallon kettle. My advice would be to read, read, and read some more. "How to Brew" by Palmer is pretty much required reading, most of your questions will be answered. Then start slow, don't try and buy all kinds of fancy stuff from the get go that you will later find you don't need or want something else. Get the minimal equipment, brew a few batches, figure out what you want, and where you want to take your brewing process and go from there. I personally just started brewing 5 months ago, and now feel that I have the setup I want. Starting to think about more advanced stuff, like yeast harvesting, fermentation chamber, etc.

For the Carboy, I agree wholeheartedly with what's been said on here, don't get glass! Do some searching here on glass carboy disasters and you will find all sorts of pictures of stitches and lacerations from garboys that seem to have spontaneously ruptured or exploded or have just been dropped. Personally I have three 6.5 gallon big mouth bubblers from Northern Brew that are ported on the bottom (Yay! No racking or siphoning!) and they make transferring the wort or beer for bottling or to a secondary a breeze! Also I love being able to shove my entire arm into the container to get them clean! Just remember don't use anything harsh that would scratch the surface because that's how bacteria can grow and be harder to clean...

Oh, and one other thing, make sure the wort is cooled BEFORE you put it into anything plastic, I made a slight mistake once and as a result I have two Fermenters and one I call a "Fermelter" because it's slightly warped and leans a little like a famous tower in Pisa :)

:tank:

Buckets are for storing grains, Bottling, and WINE.. and then only because it is much easier to degas a bucket than a PET bottle. And especially for storing grain.... They are for fermenting beer only when all 6 of my Better Bottles are already in use. Or maybe when adding a fruit, oak chips, or lots of dry hops.

Did you find 6.5 gallon buckets at the bakery? 5 gallon ones are too small to ferment a 5 gallon batch in. BTW my fermenting buckets are at least 7 gallons.

The bakery I got them from had 5.5, 5, and 4 gallon buckets I started off doing 4.5 gallon batches in the 5.5 gal buckets worked fine with a blow-off tube. And I agree buckets are now used for for storage of grain, star san, bottle soaking etc. But will definitely work as a cheap and effective beginner fermentation vessel. Just trying to help a beginner know what cost effective options are out there. Brew on:mug:

The bakery I got them from had 5.5, 5, and 4 gallon buckets I started off doing 4.5 gallon batches in the 5.5 gal buckets worked fine with a blow-off tube. And I agree buckets are now used for for storage of grain, star san, bottle soaking etc. But will definitely work as a cheap and effective beginner fermentation vessel. Just trying to help a beginner know what cost effective options are out there. Brew on:mug:

Agreed, as long as the beginner realizes that the low cost bucket from a bakery, dairy etc. is usually not big enough for most kits, or five gallon recipes.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I started shopping online and looked at a bunch of stores. The only thing I don't really now, is what exactly do I have to buy? I mean, a list of must-haves? So I read howtobrew, and here is what they recommend:

-5 gallon brewing pot (thinking of getting a 8 or 10g kettle)
-2 Fermentors with Airlocks (1 Fermenter doubles as Bottling Bucket) ----> are two buckets really needed?
-Siphon w/ Bottle Filler
-Bottle Capper
-Bottle Caps
-Large Stirring Spoon
-Bottle Brush
-Thermometer
-Hydrometer

Are there any other required things I should be buying, or is there anything from that list you would replace?

Thanks again :)

Also 2 buckets isn't necessary but certainly makes bottling/kegging clear beer easier as you will want to rack the beer off all the yeast and trub left in the bottom of your fermenter so it helps to have the other bucket to transfer the beer into for bottling.

Ok I have a big dilemma.. I have no idea what to buy as a fermenter.. And do I need two of them?

Ok I have a big dilemma.. I have no idea what to buy as a fermenter.. And do I need two of them?

That's going to be personal preference. You can always start with a bucket till you figure out what you want. I personally like plastic big mouth type fermenters. Having a Better Bottle, Speidel, and a Fermonster, I can say they all got their pluses and minuses.

Do you need two? No. But you'll soon find that having multiple brews going at once is really nice to keep brewing and the pipeline flowing. At that point you will need multiple. ;)

Some people have issues with glass carboys. If you're careful they are fine. I have a 6 gallon and a 3 gallon plus plastic buckets. I actually like my carboys best. Glass is easy to clean and let's you see the crazy process of fermentation. Fact is, use what works and makes you happy! By the way, I learned to Brew from from Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Jog of Home Brewing."

I'd just pick a kit and go with it. They should have most everything to get you started. Once you brew a batch or two you'll find out what you need, what you want, and what you don't need. Everyone has a different setup. The key is finding out what works for you and brew with it.

I'd just pick a kit and go with it. They should have most everything to get you started. Once you brew a batch or two you'll find out what you need, what you want, and what you don't need. Everyone has a different setup. The key is finding out what works for you and brew with it.

Yeah... I guess that's what I will have to do... I've just read so much that I just can't make up my mind... People say that kits are not good and you should buy everything separately... I don't know what to do anymore haha

I get 7 gallon buckets for free from the local Soap making shop... food grade... they get their oils in bulk and just recycle the buckets... they were happy to give them to me and I bring them a 6 pack of home brew every now and then as thanks.

Ok I went to a local homebrew shop today, and spoke with the guy who owns the shop. He seems to know his stuff very well, but he told me a few things I would like to check with you guys:

1) He says that I just can't use a plastic bucket as a fermenter because I would have to fill it up almost to the top. He says I will end up contaminating my batch. He says I must go with a carboy, either glass or plastic. He highly recommends plastic and told me he wouldn't go with glass.

2) He says that to pick my kettle, I must choose one that has twice the volume capacity of the batch I am going to make. For example, he told me that for 5 gallons batches, I would need a 10 gallons kettle. He says that a 10 gallons kettle must absolutely be used on a burner, because a regular stove won't be able to boil correctly.

3) His beer kits are 23L in size. In my book, 23L is 6 gallons, not 5. Why the hell?

What are you guys opinion on this?

Thanks again

I have never used buckets, I don't like the idea of them for a bunch of reason, but many make beer in them so maybe I'm just old.

I don't like glass for a bunch of reasons, but they do work. I've broken mine, so I've do have some experience there.

Kettle should be 50% bigger than your intended batch. I have experience making 5g and 10g batches, and I think this ratio is good.

Ok I went to a local homebrew shop today, and spoke with the guy who owns the shop. He seems to know his stuff very well, but he told me a few things I would like to check with you guys:

1) He says that I just can't use a plastic bucket as a fermenter because I would have to fill it up almost to the top. He says I will end up contaminating my batch. He says I must go with a carboy, either glass or plastic. He highly recommends plastic and told me he wouldn't go with glass.

2) He says that to pick my kettle, I must choose one that has twice the volume capacity of the batch I am going to make. For example, he told me that for 5 gallons batches, I would need a 10 gallons kettle. He says that a 10 gallons kettle must absolutely be used on a burner, because a regular stove won't be able to boil correctly.

3) His beer kits are 23L in size. In my book, 23L is 6 gallons, not 5. Why the hell?

What are you guys opinion on this?

Thanks again

I like plastic carboys, or some type of wide mouth plastic fermenter. For example Spiedel, or Fermonster. Don't care for buckets and have read plenty of horror stories about glass, but lots of people use both. The kettle advice is good. I'd go 10 gallon minimum, and kinda wish I would have gone with 15 gallon. I've never tried to do a 5 gallon batch inside, but I can imagine it wouldn't be fun trying to heat the water up. Plus I don't care for brewing inside anyways, too much moisture boiled into the air, and the wife would complain about the smell. So if anything, he is not giving you bad advise.

So basically, I need a propane burner and I can only brew in the summer or when it's not raining outside? For 5 gallons batches? I never read about that anywhere before :(

Or you can get some simple electronic controls for a heating element in the kettle for about the same price as a burner.

5 gallon full boil on a stove will be difficult to impossible, people doing 5 gallon batches on stoves are normally doing extract or partial mash and adding top off water.

I've been brewing 5g batches on my stove for a while - it takes some time to get the water up to boiling, but not excessive IMO. Burner would probably work better, but it can be done. So for starting out I think it will be fine - but it may be an option you want to explore eventually though.

So basically, I need a propane burner and I can only brew in the summer or when it's not raining outside? For 5 gallons batches? I never read about that anywhere before :(

Not necessary. If doing extract you don't need to do a full boil so that's doable without a burner. I brew outside all year long, except when it's really cold. Remember you got 5+ gallons of liquid boiling, kinda like standing around a campfire. Once you get past the hot break there's really no need to babysit the boil. I go do other things and just check on things every now and then and make hop additions. Your burner doesn't have to be fancy. I use a turkey fryer burner that I pulled out of my scrap pile, works fine.

Back