complete beginner keggle construction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello,

i've read a lot on keggle construction and took a crack at it this morning. my cut was rough to say the least and it isn't a perfect circle. the lid i'm using is far from a perfect fit, you can see gaps around it.

is there anyway to fix this? is this keg a throw away (i can just scrap it probably for what i paid for it so i would only lose time).

what i can't find in a lot of these keggle construction tutorials is what people use for lids and does the fit have to be perfectly tight? it's tough because a lot of these stainless lids are like 11.78 inches not a perfect 12 inch. if i'm building a 3 Tier or 2 Tier system is less perfection on the cut better for one not the other?

photos are below, thanks!

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

thanks!

sorry for the quasi-double post this one just took a bit to come in and i thought it just didn't post, my questions were answered in my other thread, thanks!

You can get lids online at Ikea. Maybe at Bed Bath & Beyond, too.

Consider using a simple jig to make a better circle.

No lid necessary for HLT or BK. The only one that needs a lid is the mash tun, but I just use a round piece of Reflectix for that. So, I don't use lids at all for my 3 keggles. Don't scrap your keggle.

Ill take a picture of what I use for a lid when I get home. My cut is a little neater than yours is but it could work.

I took the part I cut off the top of the keg and removed the spear from it. I then threaded the spear I'm the opposite side to use as a lid handle. I attached 4 washers to the "lid" to keep it from falling into the keggle then.

Voila lid.

thanks guys i'll just use this keg for a boil kettle and on the next one i'll use for a mash tun and try to nail the cut with a jig. i think those are the only two i need since i'm going to ferment in a couple of carboys.

Back