Competition Recipe Etiquette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29674

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been thinking about entering a brew or two in a competition to get some "professional" feedback on my brewing. What I'm curious about, being a new brewer, is the etiquette of using someone else's recipe in a competition. Is it generally frowned upon? Ask the recipe designer first? No one cares?

I know I wouldn't care if someone used one of my recipes (well, i dont think I would since I haven't come up with anything on my own) but thought it best to get the advise of the general populous here. I'd hate to be the guy who took something to a competition and someone realizes "hey this guy entered Edwort's Haus Pale Ale - IMPOSTER!!!" and be the shame of HBT just because I didn't know.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm not the first newbie to wonder this, so feedback is appreciated!

Enter it, it doesn't need to have a fancy name or anything. Those competitions are as much about a brewer's skill as it is about measuring the beer as an example of the style.

I highly encourage all brewers to enter as many AHA-sponsored comps as they are able.

Are there any competitions open to anyone? Meaning, I can mail a bottle off to wherever?

Would there possibly be a calendar to check for what competitions occur when?
I haven't entered a beer since 1992, and I had to drop it off at a judge's place of business so I'm wondering how things have changes since then.

Are there any competitions open to anyone? Meaning, I can mail a bottle off to wherever?

Would there possibly be a calendar to check for what competitions occur when?
I haven't entered a beer since 1992, and I had to drop it off at a judge's place of business so I'm wondering how things have changes since then.

The best list is here: Competition Schedule

Almost every competition is open to everyone. Sometimes there are pre-qualifying events (like MCAB and 2nd round NHC) and sometimes they accept only regional entries.

Unless you go to Edwort's house and steal his water and use his brewing system/techniques your brew will be different.

I'd have no problem with people using my recipe in a competition (Once I get some tried and true ones made).

If I used someone's recipe I'd make sure to PM them and give them a heads up on how it turned out, would be cool to know what people are brewing your recipe.

+1 to Conpewter.

If you brewed it, it's yours. For myself, I'd be flattered if someone entered a beer brewed from one of my recipes (and feedback would be Teh Awsum).

Bob

A lot of "original" recipes can end up being the same as someone else's. There is only so many ways to make a certain style of beer, it's all in how you brew it that makes it unique and yours. So rock that recipe and make it unique and memorable.

Thats the whole point of recipe books like Brewing Classic Styles. The homebrewing community is very sharing. A beer recipe is not like your grandmothers secret pie recipe where ingredients could matter.

If you win with someone's recipe, its a testament to both your skills, and the recipe creator too.

is there usually separate divisions for people using extract versus all grain? Or do they even care...just as long as the Stouts enter the Stout division, etc.?

not that I'm anywhere near entering a competition...just sounds like it might be fun down the road

is there usually separate divisions for people using extract versus all grain? Or do they even care...just as long as the Stouts enter the Stout division, etc.?

not that I'm anywhere near entering a competition...just sounds like it might be fun down the road

I don't know of any competition that would force you to break up beer by AG or extract. That's just not the way it's done. A well made extract beer will taste no different than an equivalent AG recipe.

I don't know of any competition that would force you to break up beer by AG or extract. That's just not the way it's done. A well made extract beer will taste no different than an equivalent AG recipe.

Good to know. I was wondering the same thing myself. There's a few competitions near me. I certainly don't feel like I'm ready to enter though. Maybe next year.

Unless you go to Edwort's house and steal his water and use his brewing system/techniques your brew will be different.

I'd have no problem with people using my recipe in a competition (Once I get some tried and true ones made).

If I used someone's recipe I'd make sure to PM them and give them a heads up on how it turned out, would be cool to know what people are brewing your recipe.

Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, if someone puts a recipe out on the Internet or in a book, it is meant to be "copied". Anyone is free to use any of my recipes I have scattered about the 'net. I'd be thrilled if someone won a category using one of my recipes!
:tank:

Ace

boy, i thought about this all wrong. I always figured if i entered a beer, it better be a little different than a "boxed set"

but i always tweak the kit sts anyway - to make them a little more "mine"

Back