Competition Etiquette Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at entering a Homebrew Comp and had a question about category selection. I am having a hard time deciding if my beer is a Belgian Golden Strong Ale (18D.) or a Belgian Tripel (18C.). Same category, different sub-category. Should I enter that beer into both sub-categories? The rules say I can, but is that bad etiquette? I'm not looking for a loop-hole, I just want some honest feedback on my beer.

Thanks,
Mike

If the rules say you can do it, I don't see why its bad etiquette. The idea of a competition is to win it. You are free to do anything/everything within the rules to win.

Could you post the recipe?

12# Pils two row
2# white wheat
.5# Munich
.5# flaked oats

Mash@ 152
Batch sparge to collect 7.5
Boil

Add
1 #honey

.5oz goldings @60
.5 cascade @60
1 oz magnum @15
1 oz French Strisselspalt @flameout

Starter of 3711

OG 1.073
FG 0.992

That is very tough - Those styles are very, very similar. In case you need a reference:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php#1c

While your OG is within both ranges, it would be on the lower spectrum for a Strong Ale - Many of those in that category are going to be pushing the upper limits. If the competition allows it then I'd enter both subcategories and see how they do but I'm leaning towards the Triple. Sounds like a delicious beer!

That is very tough - Those styles are very, very similar. In case you need a reference:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php#1c

While your OG is within both ranges, it would be on the lower spectrum for a Strong Ale - Many of those in that category are going to be pushing the upper limits. If the competition allows it then I'd enter both subcategories and see how they do but I'm leaning towards the Triple. Sounds like a delicious beer!

I agree. I think it's a better fit as a Trippel, but you could conceivably enter it in both. Unless there is a specific rule against doing so, there's no reason not to.

But FG is out of style for both, but closer to Golden Strong. I'd do both, but think it sounds more like the BGSA description.

Keep in mind that if it's not a big competition, they will probably combine them into one table. They'd still be judged to individual style guidelines, but in the same fight at the same time and by the same judges.

The entries will almost undoubtedly be combined into the same table, although not necessarily the same judge pair/triplet will judge them. It depends on how many entries there are and how the flights are done.

Looking at the recipe I think it's more likely to be like a golden strong than a tripel, but I am surprised by the FG you list there. That FG is so low as to be a warning sign of infection if you ask me. What yeast did you use?

If it tastes at all barnyard-like or maybe sour, you'd be better off entering it in category 16E (Belgian Specialty).

Did you by chance post the wrong yeast and actually mean 3711? If so, then that could very well explain your low FG. You might also end up more saison-y depending on fermentation schedule.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

About the yeast:
My house yeast is 3711 and she's a beast! She eats everything. Ideally I didn't want my FG so low, but that yeast is crazy. The beer does kick off some peppery, spicy, Saison flavors, but I think the strength of the beer comes through more. Maybe I'd be better off entering it as 18D or C and 16E?

Thanks again,
-Mike

Did you by chance post the wrong yeast and actually mean 3711? If so, then that could very well explain your low FG. You might also end up more saison-y depending on fermentation schedule.

Yes, 3711.
I fix it in the edit.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

About the yeast:
My house yeast is 3711 and she's a beast! She eats everything. Ideally I didn't want my FG so low, but that yeast is crazy. The beer does kick off some peppery, spicy, Saison flavors, but I think the strength of the beer comes through more. Maybe I'd be better off entering it as 18D or C and 16E?

Thanks again,
-Mike

You might try it as both 18D and 16C and see what kind of feedback you get. I'm not sure 16E is really appropriate-- I am not sure exactly what would qualify it as a "specialty" beer apart from being slightly higher ABV.

Back