Competition Entry: List abv? Rye? Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I know the general rule of thumb is, "if you can taste it, list it" when filling out entry forms.

Is this true for abv? I have a 12.5% abv Imperial Rye Smoked Porter aged in a rye barrel. For a beer that big, should I let the judges know they are going to taste that? It's not hot or solventy, and it has been aged.

Also, I used rye for this beer. And I think it's noticeable? List it?

One more question, for a saison finished with Brett C and peaches I also used honey and wine soaked oak chips in secondary. I know, most would say honey is undetectable and I have used it and not listed it on many beers, but on this one, I get it. List it?

I also realize these aren't standard entries for a beer competition, but would like some feedback and think they are complex, interesting, and good beers.

Thanks!

My two cents, I would list the rye. I would list the honey. I don't know that I'd list the abv though, but I would include "Imperial" in the description for the base beer.

All of the above. I like the idea of skipping the ABV but just telling them it's "imperial", they know what that means. Wouldn't be wrong to give ABV though, but I'd suggest rounding down the decimal point.

Back