Competition courtesy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattyC

Reaction score
So I have yet to enter a competition, but I plan to enter two next month. The recipes of the beers I plan to enter are my own, but I'm wondering about entering clones, whether they are of commercial beers or of other homebrewers' recipes.

First, is there a special category for clones of commercial beers? Or do you just enter it into whatever style category it fits?

Second, when you use a fellow homebrewers' recipe, is it commonplace to ask first and to give credit? I know that sounds silly, but I've never been quite clear after reading a few threads about people who won with others' recipes.

No, you generally just enter to style, unless the beer requires some explanation (like category 23 where you may have to explain why it's in that specialty category, like "utopias clone").

Most competitions don't require the recipe to be submitted, but some do. If you're submitting the recipe, you can credit the author of the recipe.

Don't worry about clones, or using someone else's recipe, or whatever. There are so many variables in brewing that ten people can make the same recipe and each end up with completely different results.

If you made a good beer, it is because YOU did something right, not because the recipe was good.

No, a clone of a commercial beer is not a special category... it is the category of the style of the beer.

Also, no, you do not need to give credit for using someone elses recipe... its a "homebrewing" competition, not a recipe creation competition.

In fact, you and the original recipe creator could make the same beer but they could taste completely different because of fermentation temps, variations in additions, water, conditioning, yeast pitch rates, etc.

Sure, if you know who made the recipe, it would be courteous to say thanks for the awesome recipe, but remember that you are the one who actually brewed it... so if its great and you win an award, take credit for doing a great job... but if it sucks, it could just have been your brewing too.

Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I figured, but I like to be sure. If I ever win with one of YOUR recipes, I'll be sure to thank you, even if it's not necessary to credit you!

Back