Competition Category Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Whats up! Need some help with a beer that I'm entering into competition. November 2012 brewed a massive Old Ale using Wyeast Old Ale Blend (english ale yeast + Brett). The beer is really really good but the Brett character has become very strong (and delicious). The aroma of the beer is straight sour. I really want to enter as an Old Ale because the specialty ale category gets tons & tons of entries and I like medals. Any advise... the flavor is dead on an Old Ale but this nose is very sour. Let me know what you think... Specialty Ale or Old Ale...

I would not enter it under a regular old ale category for a couple reasons. The brett character, while probably delicious, is not following style guidelines so you'd get dinged a lot for it. Especially if you have a newer judge who gets your beer; you might get back a terrible score from someone who thinks its infected.

There are a lot of specialty entries, BUT, you've got a big, strong, brett filled beer so that will definitely stand out in the pack. I'd vote specialty, and I am a BJCP judge, though just a lowly one (recognized).

Back