Compensate for miscalculation of mash/sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyPA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think undershot how much water I'd need, can I top off my kettle with plain water to bring me up to 5 gallons if needed?

Thanks for responding..Yeah I probably should have just thought about the impact first but I had a mini panic attack.

I turned out to be ok when I finished sparging, only about 1/2 gallon short, which I'm ok with since I'm fermenting in a keg and want the extra headspace

you don't need the extra head space. A keg will hold 5.5 gal. that's plenty. I'm fermenting full 5 g batches in kegs without any issues so far.

I ended up squeezing another 1/2 gallon out of my mash tun, I should end up with 5 in the keg, as planned.

I've read that the verdant yeast can get a little crazy so Ill sleep better at night with the headspace. Going to use fermcap s as well

I ended up squeezing another 1/2 gallon out of my mash tun, I should end up with 5 in the keg, as planned.

I've read that the verdant yeast can get a little crazy so Ill sleep better at night with the headspace. Going to use fermcap s as well

Keep it cool. Cool ferments are slow ferments. That should keep the krausen at bay. After 3-4 days let it warm to normal fermenting temps.

Keep it cool. Cool ferments are slow ferments. That should keep the krausen at bay. After 3-4 days let it warm to normal fermenting temps.

Good advice, generally, but if I am correct this is a NEIPA that is being brewed, so the esters from the early fermentation of Verdant at slightly warmer temps are desirable. The fermcap should do the job.

What temp is ideal? Right now the keg is in my closet at 62F ambient

Well, if you don't have temperature control then optimal is whatever you can do :) If you do have some control my brewing friends and I like 68 with Verdant to start, then increase up to 72 over days 3-5.

Thanks, I cracked the closet door to hopefully bring it up a few degrees. I will post some brew day pics tomorrow.

The outside of the keg is reading at 74F. I put it in a bucket of 64F water with an ice pack in my 64F closet, hoping this gets the temps down. The ice pack already melted.

Going to siphon the water out and replace until I get the temps down. Does anyone know the typical fluid temp based on the temp of the outside of the keg?

Edit: The outside is now 71

Last edited:
Back