Comparing gravity of runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan

Reaction score
Hi all, completed my second AG on my new system, 45qt. cooler, stovetop aluminum BK yesterday following Dude's LakeWalk pale ale recipe. My question is regarding the difference between first and second running's gravities. Of course they'll be different with (hopefully!) the first being higher than the second, but I got 1.096 @ 65*F, 3.5 gal. mash in, 2.05 collected for my first and 1.040@ 70F, 4 gallons in and ~3 out. I'm batch sparging and take my hydro samples near the beginning of my runnings, after vorlauf. I guess the 1.096 struck me as way high, but is it normal? Grain bill to follow. Mash temp was 154, no measured loss over 60 minutes. Sparge was 160 for 15 minutes. Slow (3/16 open) drain from a ball valve in both cases. Thanks for any insight. Kyle

8 lbs. 2-row
2 lbs. toasted 2-row
.5 lbs. crystal 60
.5 lbs. flaked wheat

I just measured the gravity of my first runnings, and came up with 1.080.
However, I used a total of 1.52 qt / lb grain (1 qt for mash and 0.52 qt for mash out) which is a bit higher than your 1.25. If I scale my results to your mash thickness, it comes out as 1.096.
I'd say your results are normal.

-a.

Thanks for the replies. Not really concerned with the high gravity, just curious. Good to know it's regular, though. Kyle

Back