Strong Bitter Common Room ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i brewed this with maris otter and used fuggles and goldings to hop. Very low carbonation but still tasty. Brew cave may be too cold for good carbing. Could use more than the three oz of hops, tho. Will run it again and bump up the hops another oz.

Ugh. Bottled 11 gal on Saturday. Bottled half w 4 oz brown sugar and all the caps are bulging now. Having to slowly release the pressure and re crimp the caps. Anyone else have this problem w brown sugar???

I need to start kegging!

According to the NB priming sugar calculator, for 11 gallons of ESB (at 70*F) you would have needed 5.31 oz of brown sugar for proper bottle carbonation. 4.4 oz if your beer was at 60*F.

Unless your beer is aging exceptionally cold, I this 4oz should have been just fine. Are all of your bottle caps bulging. or just a few?

All the ones w brown sugar. The other half I bottled w cane sugar. The cane bottles are fine.

Beer was really clear when I bottled as well (not a lot of sediment). But there is a lot of sediment in the bottles now. House is kept between 72 & 74.

All the ones w brown sugar. The other half I bottled w cane sugar. The cane bottles are fine.

Beer was really clear when I bottled as well (not a lot of sediment). But there is a lot of sediment in the bottles now. House is kept between 72 & 74.

So does that mean you bottled 5.5 gallons with 4 oz brown sugar?

If that's the case, the calculated need was 2.74 oz of brown sugar. That means you used nearly 50% more sugar than you needed. That might be your problem.

Well... We have explosions. All I can figure is the brown sugar did not mix well in the bottling bucket. I was running around and I might have forgotten to stir it in as per my normal procedure.

Bomber exploded at 3 am and I had to spend 1.5 hrs cleaning and moving that whole batch into the beer fridge in the garage.

Gonna pop all the caps for that batch this weekend and let them sit for a few hours and then recap.

Lesson learned I guess. Don't rush and follow procedure.

Taste one to see if it is normal. I had a similar problem recently and the batch had a clove flavor. I concluded some nasty got in the bucket during bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Taste is fine. Popped one and it's super carbonated. Gonna let them breath later this weekend then recap. Maybe on Sunday.

So I brewed this 2 days ago and had a OG of 1.058.
Was bubbling away the next morning and smells great.
It's probably been asked already but would it be worth dry hopping this or should I just leave it? Which hops would be good - EKG? Target?

Morning' gents, I was wondering if someone can help me out here. I did a thread search and wasn't sure if I missed this - but did anyone post tasting notes for this recipe? Is it similar to any ESBs on the market?

NEMaker--if you use the wyeast 1968, it's pretty close to Fuller's ESB. Even closer if you get the OG up to 1.059--1.060 and leave out the 140L crystal malt. Drinking one of my own right now, for which I subbed Target for the FWH and doubled the late hops additions (and used US Fuggles, since that's what I could get). It's a shade darker than Fuller's, and fresher, so it's better.

2014-11-06 17.57.39.jpg

Hey fellas came across this browsing the thread and decided to give it a go! Used original recipe, but made a 10 gallon batch. Added 1# more of the crystal 120 and came out great!!! Bubbled in ferms like crazy for two days. Thought it was stuck so took a reading.... Done. FG was 1.014. Used s04 yeast. OG was 1.058. Great taste and mouthfeel up front, goes down too easy!!! Smells great, and looks great. Here is a pic one week in battle condition.... Can't wait till three weeks gets her to have a party wooohoo. Thanks for the recipe... Definitely be kegging the next oneImageUploadedByHome Brew1415327290.478337.jpg

NEMaker--if you use the wyeast 1968, it's pretty close to Fuller's ESB. Even closer if you get the OG up to 1.059--1.060 and leave out the 140L crystal malt. Drinking one of my own right now, for which I subbed Target for the FWH and doubled the late hops additions (and used US Fuggles, since that's what I could get). It's a shade darker than Fuller's, and fresher, so it's better.

rmyurick - that was a great response! It had a little bit of everything, tied together succinctly, with the bonus of a great comparison picture to boot. Much appreciated! I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I used S04 but got an OG of 1.058. The only thing I changed from the original post was Caramunich II and Caraaroma for the crystal malts as I don't have access to British crystal mal here.
It's down to 1.017 after 11 days but I'm going to leave it at least another week before bottling. First time I brewed with all English hops. I like what I have tasted so far. :ban:

If I end up really liking the finished beer I will do a few English IPA's and brown ales for a change.
I have a load a EKG, Target and some Challenger I need to use up.

Last edited:
It does go down easy. And best not too cold--1/2 to 1 hr. in the refrigerator is good.

Do you think I could have this ready in 3 weeks?

2 in the fermenter
1 in the Keg

I want an ESB for an upcoming party.

It can be done. I'd give it 3 in fermenter and cold crash.

I still bottle and noted at 2 weeks last time it did this. There was a big difference between weeks 1 and 2 in the bottle (4 weeks total). I also used US-04.

Esb does not need that much carbonation so maybe 3.5 weeks???

It can be done. I'd give it 3 in fermenter and cold crash.

I still bottle and noted at 2 weeks last time it did this. There was a big difference between weeks 1 and 2 in the bottle (4 weeks total). I also used US-04.

Esb does not need that much carbonation so maybe 3.5 weeks???

I'm going to bottle mine on the weekend.
I actually normally like my beers around 2.5 volumes would that be too high for this beer? Better to aim for about 2.2?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure. I usually us 4 oz of table sugar for my non English beers, and use maybe 3.5 oz for the English. Not sure what it equates to though.

k, I have this boiling away as we speak since I wont have a chance to brew this weekend. I made a few small adjustments. The HBS didn't list the AA for Fuggles, and the EKG was 6.5%, so I decided to decrease the amount added to the boil. I actually cut the 60 min bitter addition in 1/2 since I feel that Fullers had a bit too much bite in it, but I really liked Alesmith's Anvil ESB which comes in at ~18 IBU. This should be around 21/22, but I'll know better when I head back to the HBS this weekend and find out the AA for Fuggles. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out!

Last night I put a batch of this down. I used styrian goldings in place of east kent because that was what they had at my LHBS when I went to pick up my ingredients. For yeast I used some Danstar Windsor that I washed from primary after bottling a smash beer on Friday. I added a quarter pound biscuit malt to the recipe and then scaled everything for a 15 litre batch. Take a look at the pic below. That's a 19 litre pot filled pretty much to the brim. I took that picture a couple of minutes before the boil started and then stood over it with a spray bottle until the boil stabilized. Final volume in the fermenter was about 15.25 litres. This morning a decent krausen had already formed so I`m guessing the washed yeast is working out all right. I`ll try to do it again sometime.

The last time I commented in this recipe`s thread I said I was putting it on my brew again list. Hopefully the few tweaks I made won`t stop it from turning out as well as the last time I made it.

IMG_0610.JPG

Last edited:
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb UK Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (1.4 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
0.75 lb UK Medium Crystal 50-65L (56.5 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
0.25 lb UK Dark Crystal 135-165L (150.0 SRM) Grain 2.27 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.4 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.17 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 35.3 IBU Calories: 241 cal/pint
Est Color: 10.4 SRM Color: Color

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 173.3 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.00 qt of water at 198.3 F 168.0 F
Sparge with enough water to achieve desired boil volume.

This beer was formulated with the goal of recreating a very traditional ESB with authentic British ingredients. Keeping the grain bill as simple as possible and balancing the malt and hops has produced an easy to make authentic English ale.

It is named for the fact that I can easily imagine a beer very similar to this being drunk in large tankards in the common room of inns by weary travellers in your favorite fantasy novel. Whether washing down a roasted chicken or being enjoyed by itself with friends, I hope you get similar feelings when drinking this ale.

Order the recipe from BMW here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/96cd746d/kingbriani-common-room-esb

Thanks for the recipe! Just brewed a 6G batch ... can't wait to start sampling!

~Joe :mug:

Brewing this one today, scaled down for 3 gallons. Using Nottingham, since I'm too lazy to make a starter. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

-Dan

Common Room ESB All Grain

Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale) (8 C)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.50 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.75 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 29 Dec 2014
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Dennis's Equipment
Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

1.06 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 87.0 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.5 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
1.75 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 29.6 IBUs
0.25 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 2.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 2.1 IBUs
1.06 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.25 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.06 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 13 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 %
Bitterness: 34.1 IBUs
Est Color: 12.1 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 4.79 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Name

Description

Step Temperature

Step Time

Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 166.7 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun , 1.75gal, 1.75gal, 1.75gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes
Going to brew this on New Years Day for my next brew with the few changes. Hoping for a more of a malty chewy beer. The original looks so tasty.

Made a batch of this switched the hop schedule around a bit (60 min, 0min) additions EKG and Fuggle used Nottingham ale yeast will se how it turns out at transfer!!

Can someone help me convert this to partial mash? I wanted to do this for the first beer in my keg but am having trouble finding anything in the thread for a partial mash.

Hey guys, I brewed this for the second time a couple months ago. The first time I made this I used Warminster Floor Malted Maris Otter, some Flaked Oats, and 1968 London ESB yeast and it turned out great. This time, I used Golden Promise, added I think 8oz of Biscuit Malt, and used 1469 West Yorkshire yeast. I'd say they taste about 95% the same, I think the Golden Promise is a little 'cleaner' tasting and slightly sweeter. I forgot to pop a Whirlfloc tablet into the boil but the beer still came out clearer this time around. First time using 1469 and man did the krausen hang around. Pretty interesting to see how changing up the recipe a bit still resulted in pretty similar beer. Got just the right amount of carbonation in the bottle, on the lower end of the spectrum but enough to keep a thin head. Tastes best at cellar temps.

CommonRoomESB_zpseb90ccd1.jpg

Brewing this one today, scaled down for 3 gallons. Using Nottingham, since I'm too lazy to make a starter. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

-Dan

Okay, life got in the way and I just checked the gravity. OG: 1.050. Today: 1.016. I kind of expected a slightly lower FG (say, 1.013). Hydro sample tasted wonderful though!

I'll check again on Saturday and if it's still 1.016, I'll bottle.

=dan

2943045510_2fc91b8322.jpg

Sorry about the partially full glass. It was a 16 oz. glass and a 12 oz. bottle. This beer has awesome balance. If you like malty beers you'll love this beer. If you like hoppy beers you'll appreciate this beer though it's no IPA hop bomb. The hop aroma and flavor are pronounced and blend perfectly.

Great Recipe. Thanks for sharing it. My S-04 underattenuated slightly but a very tasty brew nonetheless. Bought the ingredients for another batch in a few weeks.

Changing the yeast to mix it up a wee bit and got the darker crystal specified in the recipe 150L as opposed to 120L with the current batch. Looking for the redder hues in your picture

Common Room ESB picture.jpg

Bought grains today lhbs was outta starsan so I won't be brewing til Wednesday at least because the dilution factor of iodophor intimidated me

Made some changes

10lb Maris otter
.75 lbs crystal 60l
.25 lbs caramel 120 because I didn't see any crystal malt labeled in the 135-165l range, I normally only use us-05 but in the spirit of keeping it "english" I did purchase s-04

Cannot wait to brew

I was under the impression sanitizing with bleach is taboo around here lol

Only because it has to stay in contact with the surface so long and you have to rinse it afterwards.

In my first incarnation as a home brewer about 20 years ago it was all that I had and it worked fine. Then again the beer was so bad that it would have been hard to have tasted any off flavours from any leftover residue :D

I'm starting to have concerns about the s-04 seeings how my stout and ira are currently fermenting at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and I have read that at this temp s-04 can impart sour flavors and I have no room for a swamp cooler

Latest posts

Back