Common Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baileyforlife

Reaction score
I have a black beauty bottle capper and i used it on my first batch to bottle my beer. I don't know if I didn't let them sit long enough or if it was the carbonation drops, but they weren't very carbonated. Could have been many factors. I only let most of them sit for about a week and half before i put some in the fridge. I used soap in my dishwasher to clean my bottles. Didn't know about that one till after. I have a 5 gallon batch of pumpkin beer bottled right now and I haven't even looked at them for a month and i might leave them a little bit longer. I'm rambling, MY Question is, could it be that cheap bottler is not sealing them good, or is that fool proof? None of them have ever leaked beer and they seem on there good when I pop a top. I will be pissed if my Pumpkin beer is flat and nasty, I tried to correct all my past mistakes this time, and I put a lot more into making this one. Maybe I should just RDWHAHB! Cheers friends!

PS. I let some from my first batch sit prolly another week and they also tasted flat

I only let most of them sit for about a week and half before i put some in the fridge.t

This is why they weren't carbed. Few beers are in that short time frame.

I'm sure your bottle capper is fine.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I'm having carbonation issues now as well.... Convincing my wife to let me buy ingredients for a third batch when My first batch is still not ready to drink..... WHY!

This is why they weren't carbed. Few beers are in that short time frame.

I'm sure your bottle capper is fine.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

chart.jpg

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Thanks Revvy, just needed the reassurance.

Back