Commercial non-Cascade APA/IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I have nothing against Cascades as a matter of course, but have kind of grown tired of them. I like to try new brews of all styles, but lately it seems that every new IPA or APA I try is a bit of a let down because it's that familiar Cascade taste. I like the fruity/citrusy/bitter taste-but would love some variation. Any good examples of hoppy beers that use different high alpha hops?

I really like the Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher.

Wow, yeah I had that yesterday. I'm not a big IPA fan but it was great. Actually fairly balanced but the hoppiness was still top notch. Convinced me to make an Imperial Red next (Still like Lagunitas Imperial Red better) with Chinook and Simcoe.

Hate to point out that centennial is a cross between cascade and zeus/columbus/tomahawk/whateveritscalledforthisdiseasetolerantstrain. So in a way it's still cascade. Kinda.

They are few and far between. I love cascade hops myself. Nothing like suckin' down an Anchor Liberty or (total grapefruit bomb) Ale to the Chief! :rockin:

A cross of something isn't exactly the same... I find Centenial to be less Citrusy and more floral than Cascade. Just sayin.

Would you consider sex with a hermaphrodite to be == regular sex? :D

Back