Commercial Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I'm sure there's a post about this somewhere, but...

What is the most efficient or easiest way to COMPLETELY remove commerical labels from bottles? I have about two cases worth, but can't get alot of the glue off.

Thanks and BREW ON:mug:

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
There are some threads about it, the easiest way is to soak the bottles in ammonia and water. They will slide rightoff. I leave mine overnight.
This is what I do and it works great!

Dude said:
Soak in oxyclean for an hour. They slide right off.

Exactly. UNLESS they are bottles from Two Brothers... soak em in oxy for 2 weeks, peel back an edge of the label (if you can get a grip on it) grab the edge with pliers and peel. This will require effort.....

Ize

I used bleach and water soak for about 30 min, then scrub with steel wool. Some bottles will take more time. Pretty easy and no soaking for long time and messing up your sink.
Or just get Guniness draft bottles which require no soaking, just peel the plastic off.

brackbrew said:
I'm sure there's a post about this somewhere, but...

What is the most efficient or easiest way to COMPLETELY remove commerical labels from bottles? I have about two cases worth, but can't get alot of the glue off.
As others have said, an hour soak with oxyclean takes of most everything, and a quick once-over with a scruffy pad will take care of any glue or paper remnants. Just be sure to rinse well with hot water.

Also, as you speculated initially, there are multiple threads on this same subject (mostly in the bottling/kegging and equipment/sanitation forums) that the lonely search button would have been glad to show you. ;)

El Pistolero said:
Also, as you speculated initially, there are multiple threads on this same subject (mostly in the bottling/kegging and equipment/sanitation forums) that the lonely search button would have been glad to show you. ;)

Ouch...scolded....hahaha...thanks!

BREW ON:mug:

I've been able to do it very easily with just warm water and a scrubby sponge. I soaked the bottles for about an hour or two, then tore the labels off, then scrubbed the remaining glue off. Some labels were harder than others (Boont Amber's pretty difficult, but Sierra Nevada and Pacifico are super easy).

Back