Commercial Comparison-Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
Hey, I'm planning on making my second Dusseldorf Alt and was wondering if anyone knew a commercial brand that can be purchased in the US...preferably california. I live in the bay area so I have access to quite a few gourmet stores, I just cant think of any brands off the top of my head. I've BEEN to Dusseldorf but wasn't into brewing when I went. Its what started the passion! Haha...anyways, anyone know some?

Somerville said:
Hey, I'm planning on making my second Dusseldorf Alt and was wondering if anyone knew a commercial brand that can be purchased in the US...preferably california. I live in the bay area so I have access to quite a few gourmet stores, I just cant think of any brands off the top of my head. I've BEEN to Dusseldorf but wasn't into brewing when I went. Its what started the passion! Haha...anyways, anyone know some?

I had the same problem and have yet to find a German Altbier in the US. When having the US versions of this beer I'm afraid to get to much of an American interpretation of the style.

I heard that Diebels Alt is imported into the US, but I don't know where to get it :(

But let us know what you find.

Kai

I don't know of any authentic German versions, but Otter Creek Copper is a decent interpretation of an Alt...

Uerige Sticke Alt would be one I'd recommend. I bought this for my dad for Christmas and it was delicious, although rather expensive $4.49 or $4.99 for a bottle, but I got a 10% 12 pack discount. My local liquor store had to special order it, but they got it in a few days.

Here's a picture if you want to see one

http://www.geocities.com/jmsieglaff/uerige_sticke_alt.jpg

Good luck....repost when you drink the beer and let us know how it turns out

:mug:

Somerville said:

Mcneills Brewery produces and Alt beer here in ths U.S. and it is the ticket. It's American made and one of the best beers I have ever had :rockin: . Unfortunately it's only available in Vermont. If you desire some PM me and maybe we can sort something out.

Sounds good. I'll search my local shops. Perhaps I'll just have to go off memory from when I was actually there :eek:
I'll keep the thread posted on what I find.
Thanks glibiddy, I'll first check my local stores and if I don't come up with anything, maybe we can work something out :mug:

My favorite from Dusseldorf was the Fuchschen Alt. I would wet my pants if I found it here :D

Latest posts

Back