Columbus-Maris Otter - first smash ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketheadmn

Reaction score
I brew 2.5 gallon BIAB batches and I am going to attempt my first smash using:
  • 5lb MO
  • 0.50oz of Columbus
I have not tried creating anything of my own before, but doing a smash for my first. Hoping for some feedback here on my hop schedule and if I am using enough/too many hops. I am not out to create something super hoppy - just a nice balanced pale ale.

.20 @ 60 min
.15 @ 20 min
.15 @ 5 min

Per brewersfriend this gets me a 5.24% abv and 40 IBU pale ale. I will be using wyeast 1056 with this.

thoughts?

Normally I wouldn’t do a flavor addition, but with Columbus you might get that “dankness” that the hop is known for, if you are interested in having that then maybe back it up to 30m. If not then move it forward to 10m. Marris Otter is my favorite malt.

I brew 2.5 gallon BIAB batches and I am going to attempt my first smash using:
  • 5lb MO
  • 0.50oz of Columbus
I have not tried creating anything of my own before, but doing a smash for my first. Hoping for some feedback here on my hop schedule and if I am using enough/too many hops. I am not out to create something super hoppy - just a nice balanced pale ale.

.20 @ 60 min
.15 @ 20 min
.15 @ 5 min

Per brewersfriend this gets me a 5.24% abv and 40 IBU pale ale. I will be using wyeast 1056 with this.

thoughts?

Your ging to get a ton of differing opinions, but when I brew SMaSH beers it is to get a sense of the flavor and aroma of a certain hop. I just did a Simcoe SMaSH and did 60, 20, Whirlpool, and Dry Hop additions. I use about 4oz per 5.5 gallon batch. This last one I did .5oz @ 60, .75 @ 20, .75 @ WP, and 2oz DH. That gave me about 20 IBU from my 60 min and the rest were later additions, with the total IBU @ 50. That gave me a BU/GU ratio of .846 which is at the very top of the range for American Pale Ale. Google search "BU/GU Ratio Chart" and it will tell you what is appropriate for the style.

If I were you, I'd add a Dry Hop addition to your recipe. Maybe an Oz for 2.5 gal.

Maris Otter is a good choice. I mash @ 152 to gain a little more body since there are no specialty malts.

Your ging to get a ton of differing opinions, but when I brew SMaSH beers it is to get a sense of the flavor and aroma of a certain hop. I just did a Simcoe SMaSH and did 60, 20, Whirlpool, and Dry Hop additions. I use about 4oz per 5.5 gallon batch. This last one I did .5oz @ 60, .75 @ 20, .75 @ WP, and 2oz DH. That gave me about 20 IBU from my 60 min and the rest were later additions, with the total IBU @ 50. That gave me a BU/GU ratio of .846 which is at the very top of the range for American Pale Ale. Google search "BU/GU Ratio Chart" and it will tell you what is appropriate for the style.

If I were you, I'd add a Dry Hop addition to your recipe. Maybe an Oz for 2.5 gal.

Maris Otter is a good choice. I mash @ 152 to gain a little more body since there are no specialty malts.

I figured I would get a few different opinions ;) I am going to do some SMaSH batches to learn a bit more about hops and their flavoring and aroma. I have really enjoyed the Maris Otter based recipes I have made which is why I am starting with it. Next SMaSH might be 2-row to compare. Looking at the BU/GU Ratio I would be at 0.755 with my original hop schedule which is a bit out of the range for a American Pale Ale. Messing around in brewers friend with hop schedule to match the style at 0.717 I end up with:
  • 0.20oz @ 60 min
  • 0.20oz @ 10 min
  • 0.15oz @ 5 min
Dry hop is just for additional flavor and aroma right? I'll be left with 0.45 oz I can dry hop with (only bought 1oz) - would that even make a difference?

Normally I wouldn’t do a flavor addition, but with Columbus you might get that “dankness” that the hop is known for, if you are interested in having that then maybe back it up to 30m. If not then move it forward to 10m. Marris Otter is my favorite malt.

I do not know how much of an effect adding hops at different times make - why such a difference from 30min to 10min? When is the flavor addition?

There are a lot of different compounds in hops. The lighter floral oils will boil off first. Then the fruity citrus aromas and lastly the resinous sappy flavors. Pretty much all of the aromas and flavors are gone after an hour and the lighter oils boil off after a half hour. So 60m is a bittering addition, 30m is a flavoring addition and 5 minutes to flame out or whirlpool will leave the lighter oils. Since some of these oils will get lost in an active fermentation, if they are desirable, then dry hopping after things settle down works. I love Fuggles and have used them a lot in my short time brewing. To me I perceive the darker resinous flavors as raisony or cranberry sauce, the fruity flavor (late addition) as bing cherries and the higher oils as rose. Depending on what I am trying to accomplish, I will adjust the hop additions accordingly. For example my last beer is a brown ale. I don’t want a strong hop aroma, so my final Fuggle addition was at flame out. With Fuggles my experience is that the lighter oils will come out during an active fermentation. Since I didn’t make any additions other then the late and bittering, I expect my beer to have a subtle cherry flavor, since my late addition wasn’t a pile of hops.

Back