Color Question...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quarters

Reaction score
This is my 3rd batch of beer so I am still pretty new to this....

The batch I made is a Pale Ale. The only probelm is that it is any thing but pale. :mad: It is more of a Amber than anything.

I'm not sure if a did something wrong or if it will become more pale when I let it condition? It is on it's 2nd week of secondary fermentation. I have made sure that the temp. for fermentation is where it should be (64-74 degrees) I flowed the recipe to a t. So I don't think that's it but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure it is not a sanitation issue. I love me some star san sanitizer. :)

Here is what the recipe called for:

6.6 lbs of light malt extract
1 lb of crystal 20L malt

1 oz. of amarillo
1 oz. of strisselspalt
.5 oz. of saaz

wyeast London Ale lll # 1318
.5 tsp of Irish moss

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my thread. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. :mug:

The definition of "Pale" is something that is not black or nearly black. It can vary between very pale (like a light lager) to a deep copper color. If you are judging the color in the fermenter, then it will look a lot darker than when it is poured into a glass.

-a.

The definition of "Pale" is something that is not black or nearly black. It can vary between very pale (like a light lager) to a deep copper color. If you are judging the color in the fermenter, then it will look a lot darker than when it is poured into a glass.

-a.

+1. It will look a lot darker in the fermentor since it's a bigger volume.

it'll look a bit lighter in the glass.
also,as i understand it, extract will lead to some caramelization of the wort that will darken it up a bit; as oppossed to all grain.

on the other hand, most of the pale ales I've ever had are more copper/smber than yellow.

being pretty new, not unlike myself, I'd say don't fret over the color too much at this point. concentrate on making beer that tastes good.

Latest posts

Back