Color correction question in finished beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently brewed a pale ale with ingredients on hand and didn't have any crystal 60. The beer came out great but the color was off. Thinking about entering it into a contest but the color is off. Any ideas on how to color correct a finished beer? Food coloring seems a little iffy. Are there any other additives that would work?
Thanks in advance!
:mug:

Sinamar Sinamar® Natural Coloring It's a coloring agent made from Carafa dehusked malt. Obviously it's very dark ink like, so for a pale ale you may only want to use a 1/2 ounce as 1 ounce in 5 gallons of beer will increase the color by 5 SRM. Do note the website in the link shows the 5 liter container, but the $6.99 price is for a 4 ounce bottle.

However, if you mean a certified beer competition, appearance is only a max of 3 points, you would most likely only lose 1 point for being below color guideline, but how light are we talking? Pale ale range per BJCP is 5-10 SRM, so you may be on the low end of the scale but still be fine.

Sinamar Sinamar® Natural Coloring It's a coloring agent made from Carafa dehusked malt. Obviously it's very dark ink like, so for a pale ale you may only want to use a 1/2 ounce as 1 ounce in 5 gallons of beer will increase the color by 5 SRM. Do note the website in the link shows the 5 liter container, but the $6.99 price is for a 4 ounce bottle.

However, if you mean a certified beer competition, appearance is only a max of 3 points, you would most likely only lose 1 point for being below color guideline, but how light are we talking? Pale ale range per BJCP is 5-10 SRM, so you may be on the low end of the scale but still be fine.
Thanks Jdauria!
My notes says it was 5.6 srm so you're right, I'll let it ride the way it is.
Thanks again for the input.
Sid

Appearance is 3 points on a BJCP scoresheet, and no reasonable judge would take off more than 1 point specifically for color. (And to be honest, IMO you'd have to be way off to lose a point in an APA, far more than you're going to be for missing a little C60.)

I wouldn't worry about this in the slightest.

Back