Color Blind Green Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
I am starting to plan an Irish Red that I will brew for St. Patty's Day. I have looked at the original Killian's recipe from Microbrewed Adventures:

5 lbs Pale malt
4.5 lbs Munich malt
1 lb Crystal 10L
.5 lb home toasted pale malt

1 oz French Strisselspalt hops (3% AA) 120 min
.5 oz Mt. Hood (6% AA) 120 min
.5 oz Santiam 5 min
1/3 oz Santiam dry hopped

German Altbier or German Ale yeast

There are a few things I find troubling about this recipe though, such as the use of French hops and German yeast in an Irish ale. The guidelines I have come across say to avoid hop aroma, and this recipe calls for dry hops. Also most of the other recipes I have come across use a darker Crystal and/or some roasted barley for coloring. Some use CaraRed, which I was thinking of using since I have never used it before. One recipe calls for a peeled and grated potato in the mash. I was thinking of trying this too.

Any input would be appreciated. I am aiming for a red, malty brew. OG should be aroung 1.065.

- magno

LOL...WTF is one potato going to do for that beer I wonder? :D

The altbier yeast would work well in that recipe actually. You want it malty and that is a malty strain.

Nothing wrong with using CaraRed or Melanoidin or something like that to assist with the color, IMHO.

Yeah, Im not sure what the potato will do. The guy who wrote the recipe and Papazian both say that it wont add much to the flavor. I guess it will make it that much more "Irish".

What percentage should I shoot for with the CaraRed? Also what about something like Biscuit for the flavor. I have never used CaraRed and I dont know what it adds flavor-wise.

I think this is what I will go with:

9.75 lbs 6-Row
2 lbs Munich malt
1 lb CaraRed
0.75 lb Biscuit
0.75 lb Crystal 20L
1 Peeled and grated potato

2/3 oz Northdown 60 min
1/3 oz Northdown 40 min
1/2 oz Fuggle 15 min
1/2 oz Fuggle 2 min

WLP 004 Irish Ale yeast

Comments?

bump

BTW, I am planning to pitch a stout on the cake from this batch.

:mug:

I've never heard of any Irish brewery making beer with potatoes... I mean, it's a "cute" idea but I'm thinking it's about as Irish as green beer...

Yeah its by no means traditional. I guess its in the vein of "everyones irish on st. patty's day". :tank: And with all the talk around here lately of potato beer...

Ive never used CaraRed and Im not sure the LHBS has it. What proportion should I be using. Currently it is about 8% of the fermentables, not including the potato. If I cant get it, should I substitute CaraMunich, Meladoinin or something else?

- magno

Back