Collecting yeast from Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
First time to use my Blichmann fermenator. So far it has been a breeze to work with. I decided that I would give collecting some yeast a try. Any advice on the best way to collect the yeast? Bought this set up used off of craigslist. All I have experience with is glass carboys.

Circle C Brewer

IMG_1065.jpg

circle-c
After a couple of days of active fermentation, open the port at bottom for a couple of seconds to remove trub and old yeast and discard. Repeat proceedure a day or two later but capture solution in a sanitized container for repitching later.
mark
Beer Diary...

Opened the bottom valve on my conical and nothing came out. looks like the yeast cake and the hops have clogged the valve. Called my LHBS and they told me to sterilize a rod and stir up the sediment. Any other ideas?

The beer has only been fermenting for 6 days.

Circle C Brewer

I have owned 3 of these conicals. . .You have to wait for the sediment. It may seem clogged, but it will come... albeit very slowly. .. just sit back and wait. And be prepared for a gush once the thickest stuff starts to flow--keep your hand on the valve.

I agree with Biermann. In fact, I only open the valve about 1/2 way until it gets flowing, then shut it down to 1/3rd and let it come out slow, and with my hand on the valve so that I can stop the flow when it starts to gush.

I've found if you try to dump too quickly, a channel can open up through the plug that will drain a lot of beer while washing out the yeast and trub more slowly.

So slow and steady is the way to do it with a conical. At least, if you have the 1/2 inch 3-piece SS valve. It might work differently with the bigger valves.

Back