Coleman 62 qt Xtreme Wheeled Cooler <$20!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rob897 said:
I just recently purchase the 70qt version of this from Walmart for $35.00 and just finished up the copper manifold, heres the pics

mashtun01_th.jpg
mashtun02_th.jpg
mashtun03_th.jpg

Will be doing an American IPA on the Mash Tun within the next few weeks.

Are there hole drilled in to the copper?

splat said:
You got a good deal....I didnt do too bad, picked up mine at K-mart for 29.99 I think...Havent used it yet, but maybe in two weekends or so...(still got to get my boil pot done, and get a wort chiller)
That was good thinking adding that extension. With mine I can't quite turn the valve perpendicular, but it doesn't leak, so I'm not worried about it.

I brewed my first all grain batch with this cooler on sunday! Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale (doesn't everyone?). It went well, I just need to work on my efficiency.

I did promise to upload some pics... I'll see if I can document my next brew day and post some.

missing link said:
When I tried using a real long braid, it kept floating up to the surface. I used a brass plug in the end to help hold it down. When it floats up, your only filtering or draining right at the spigot. I switched to a PVC manifold and it works much better for about the same cost as the braid.

Linc

I have the same problem, but I found out why....The "stainless steel" braid I bought isnt stainless steel...Its some kind of plastic that looks exactly like stainless....Im going to replace it this weekend. Guess I didnt look that close at the sticker when I bought it.

xumbi said:
That was good thinking adding that extension. With mine I can't quite turn the valve perpendicular, but it doesn't leak, so I'm not worried about it.

I brewed my first all grain batch with this cooler on sunday! Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale (doesn't everyone?). It went well, I just need to work on my efficiency.

I did promise to upload some pics... I'll see if I can document my next brew day and post some.

Did you do a five gallon batch, or ten gallon??? If you did a five, how did the heat do? How much heat did you lose in the hour?

splat said:
Did you do a five gallon batch, or ten gallon??? If you did a five, how did the heat do? How much heat did you lose in the hour?
It was a 5 gallon batch, and I didn't lose any heat during the hour! These xtreme coolers apparently live up to the hype.

xumbi said:
It was a 5 gallon batch, and I didn't lose any heat during the hour! These xtreme coolers apparently live up to the hype.

thats what I was hoping to hear :) You batch sparge?

splat said:
thats what I was hoping to hear :) You batch sparge?
Yup, I followed Ed Wort's instructions step by step. The only thing I did differently was add another 2lbs of base malt, to account for my likely (and eventual reality) of lower efficiency. I hit the OG of 1.051 on the dot!

I think my lower efficiency could have come from not draining fast enough, not letting the second sparge sit for very long (only about 2 minutes), and not stirring before draining the second sparge.

xumbi said:
Yup, I followed Ed Wort's instructions step by step. The only thing I did differently was add another 2lbs of base malt, to account for my likely (and eventual reality) of lower efficiency. I hit the OG of 1.051 on the dot!

I think my lower efficiency could have come from not draining fast enough, not letting the second sparge sit for very long (only about 2 minutes), and not stirring before draining the second sparge.

cool, sounds great...I was also kicking around the idea of adding a pound or two more base malt for my first batch, sounds like it worked out great for you....Im sure I wont get getting great efficiency right out of the gate either....THanks for the great tips, I cant wait for my first batch.:mug:

Back