Beersmith Equipment profile for a Coleman 72 qt Xtreme Cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I just bought a Coleman Xtreme 70 quart cooler and converted it into a mash tun. I was wondering if anyone has the proper profile numbers (weight, dead space, size, wort loss, etc.) to plug into Beersmith to represent the features accurately?? Thanks in advance if you can help!

I would imagine since ever system is different, you will need to come up with those numbers yourself. I just converted a 60qt cooler and it was pretty easy to do... I filled it up a gallon at a time to establish markings, ran all my hose as if I was doing a brew, then drained it. Manually dumped leftover water from cooler and hoses and took a direct measurement. That should get you pretty close.

As far as dead space, I would imagine that will vary on each brew as well, but if you have volume markings from bottom to top you can deduct current grain / H20 volume from max capacity to get your deadspace for that brew.

Here is a link to the "can I mash it" where it will give you approximate volume of your grist.

https://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

If you choose 10g cooler in beersmith profile you shouldn't have to adjust anything but the dead space. I used a 10g cooler for about 5 years and this was fairly accurate.

Since not all coolers are made to the same specifications with regard to weight, height of drain valve, etc. I would recommend starting as stieg000 recommended with the 10 gal cooler profile and then measuring the weights, dead space, etc. to customize that profile to your particular equipment.

Back