cold weather overcabing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_Chicken

Reaction score
So... I have been kegging since this summer. everything was perfect good carbonation much easier. Now it seems my beers are overcarbed. My theory is that it got cold, my kegerator is heated to keep the beer from freezing in the shop/ mancave, but the co2 bottle sits outside of it, is it possable that the kegs will pull in 12psi from the cold bottle then the gas warms up to and the pressure increases causing over carbonation? If so any recomendations on settings for the winter?

temp shouldn't change the psi whether the co2 bottle is inside or outside. That all goes through the regulators. What is the temp of the kegerator?

No, if the gas warmed up in the kegs that would prevent additional gas from flowing. A pneumatic system with no blockages in it will be at a uniform pressure. Your beer is absorbing the same amount of CO2 as always.

One possibility, have you checked the temperature of the lines and taps? They might be warmer than the kegs and causing outgassing during the first part of the draw.

the temp of the kegerator is ~40F the lines and taps are deff not warmer the lines are in the kegerator and the taps are in the ~20F air in the shop. Also it dosent get better with the 2nd or 3rd pour in a row.

There are check valves on the lines so the gas cannot flow backwards I was thinking that when the bottle warms up or cools down the tank pressure changes from thermal expansion. The same would hold true with whatever gets pulled into the kegs while despensing the first time then it wouldnt draw until the pressure dropped again, or is my theory just totally flawed? I've never had this problem before it got cold so thats what makes me think it is weather related.

I wouldn't think that the CO2 tank temp. would matter as the gas which flows from it is pressure regulated at the regulator on its way to the keg.

Are measuring the temp. in the kegerator or is that what your temp. controller is set at?

Latest posts

Back